Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

first time jeep owner

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dad23sgt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: first time jeep owner Reply with quote

i have a 95 yj that has the 5 speed with a 2.5l. if i change the gear ratio in the transfer case and axles, will the factory drive train hold up? the motor is locked up, but i can get another one cheap. again, this is my first jeep project and i am also looking for a few ideas to keep the cost down while making a mud toy, no rock climbing or anything like that.
HARRYI

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BEFORE YOU THROWING AROUND A LOT OF CASH MODIFYING THE DRIVE GEAR , GET THE ENGINE WORKING AND DRIVE THE YJ TO SEE IF YOU LIKE THE RIDE. MANY FIRST TIME DRIVERS GET TURNED OFF BY THE ROUGHER RIDE.
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but cheap and Jeep usually don't go together.

If you are truly building a mud Jeep with low gears and large tires, my guess is the stock drivetrain will not make it past the first real mud hole..........

If you are going to run big tires, low gears, locked diffs, and a lot of throttle don't even try with the stock stuff. I would think you would want something equivalent to Dana 60s as I don't think D44s would hold up long. There are several knowledgeable individuals here who should be able to make some specific recomendations. Get the check book out because it is going to cost some bucks.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on your desired tire size. It also depends on what your version of a mud toy is? Are you gonna be hitting bogs or skipping across puddles?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: