Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chevy 350/TH350 into TJ - Epic post

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polar01

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Chevy 350/TH350 into TJ - Epic post Reply with quote

Hey everyone, just joined the site. Looking forward to sharing. I have some very good experience to bring to the table, and hopefully get some of you good people's insight. Always good to get a different perspective on something!

So, this is my first post on any site ever, and it's an epic one.

First, i'm not a computer saavy person, and not super-familiar with posting etiquette. The only thing I know is that you don't type in all capitals. It's yelling. I get it.

On to the meat and potatoes- I'm not new to Jeeps, 4x4's, engines, axles, electrical, etc. so the amount of simple questions will be a minimum. After scrolling thru lots of pages on this site (and others) searching for tech info on my planned swap, I came up with diddly/squat.

Soooo, I will be detailling my epic adventure into engine/trans swapping tech-support hell with my digital camera, Jim Beam, a good friend, and i'm guessing a bunch of lol's.

What i've got: 01 TJ 4-popper with the 3 speed slushbox, and lots of goodies. (bought the 4cyl with a V8 swap in mind)

What's going in: 1988 Chevy 350/TH350, (a very calculated) OME suspension, JKS adj. trackbar and quicker disconnects, Clayton F&R lower radius arms, JB Conversions super-short SYE, Tom Woods driveshafts, AEV tummy-tuck, Warn 8274 with Warn bumper, ARB rear bumper and air compressor, Safari Snorkel, and the frosting on the cake... custom fuel cell from Fuel-Safe integrated into the bed of the Jeep (think: half in the bed, half underneath - to cure the poor factory placement and ridiculous range of the original fuel tank).

It's not happening at once, first off is the engine/trans/lift with the rest to follow. This is my daily driver, so reliability/endurance has been well considered.

Back to you! Ideas? Suggestions? Donations?

Like I said, i'll be detailing the build with my camera, so when I make progress, i'll post and let you all know what's happening. Pics and rambling will be available upon request.

Laters-
DOUBLEDUCE

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: LS1 Reply with quote

I am in the middle of a swap myself, I am in California an the smog demons get us here. I am putting a corvette LS1 into my tj, and have run into a few problems already, get a motor with the air compressor up high not low like the corvette, also the oil pan had to be changed to a rear sump, again corvette bad choise, truck motor better. I went with a 4l60e for the overdrive 4th gear at .70, the 350 is a 1 to 1 and the engine will rev high on the freeway. pcm, and gauges, were the biggest problem. i just gave up and bought new auto meter gauges instead. if smog is not a concern the 350 is a great choice and a carbrator is much easier.

bill
Polar01

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight Bill!

The motor/trans i'm using is coming out of a '76 Chevy 4x4 pickup, I didn't want any of the electronic wizardry of the newer motors. I'm in the Detroit area and Michigan has no emissions laws currently, but i'll still be running a wide-band o2 sensor (makes carb tuning way easier) and a cat for when I add Holley Pro-jection in the future.

I've been analyzing this swap in my head step by step for about a month now, and i'm mentally coming up with the following issues:

Power steering lines, ignition (would like it to start when I turn the key - call me crazy), radiator hoses, engine placement (front to rear in the bay), transmission mounts, front/rear driveshaft length, fuel regulation (carb only needs 5-6lbs, not sure what the stock Jeep pump puts out but with EFI i'm guessing its quite a bit more than I need), throttle linkage, shift linkage, steering shaft clearance.

The oil pan question you answered for me. Thanks!

I'm going to be running an electric fan, so what I thought i'd do is mount the engine as far forward as I can to keep the transfer case as close to the stock position as I can.

If you have any other experience to share with this swap, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again,
Doug
DOUBLEDUCE

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: swap Reply with quote

Doug,
power steering lines can be made to any size thats not a problem, contact a air conditioning shop, rad hose may have to be two hoses with a splice, advance adapter, or novak sell the whole mounting kit, I bought the advance kit and the engine mounts fit only in one spot simple. it includes trans mount, they sell radators, most everything for your swap. your stock tank will work great, you might have to regulate the pressure up or down if you are throtle by wire now you can by a petal from a junk yard.the steering will have to be moved away from the engine and welded into place. shifting is easy yours will work or get a cable shifter. B & M trans has that. new driveshafts most likely. my engine sets real nice almost in the same as the stock maybe a little back. and i am using an electric fan set-up. I will send you a picture if i can figure out how to do it,
on this website. in the next couple of days.
bill
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with a OEM TBI unit from any late 80's thru mid 90's truck and forget the carb. The computer, and throttle body are inexpensive, and parts are plentifull in junk yards, or Howell made the TBI units for GM and have everything you need, but are more costly. I have posted this before, but a buddy of mine recently baught a Howell TBI setup for his 83 CJ and it made a vast differance in the performance and reliablity of his I6, whats interesting is it's the same exact TBI, computer, and prom chip that is in my 89 V8 Chevy truck.

Good luck with your swap

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
Polar01

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!
I'm going with the Novak engine mounts as they appear to have more adjustibility side-to-side. Also, Novak has some mighty fine looking headers!

As far as Apex's suggestion about the OEM TB unit, that's an option I had'nt though of... Waaay cheaper than the Holley Pro-jection (about a grand) I was considering. Thanks! The carb is just to get it running and driving asap.

I am going to try and retain the stock shifter using Lokar cables, dunno, alot of this will have to be sorted out on-the-fly. You can only bench race so much until you actually start cutting into stuff.

So i've got to move my steering shaft huh? Man, that sucks.

I saw a stainless ribbed universal upper and lower radiator hose on a car the other day, maybe that'll work. I'm not into anything shiny anymore and am trying to go with a no-chrome-anything theme, so we'll see.

I really appreciate the advice guys, every little bit helps.

Bill, I'd love to see any pics of your engine bay you can get to me.

Doug
DOUBLEDUCE

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: pictures Reply with quote

Doug,
I have some pictures for you but how do i send them I can give you my e-mail address and you can reply and then i can send them to you.
wroose@dc.rr.com

Bill
Polar01

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just shot you an email, thanks alot Bill!
-Doug
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: