Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1000 for a flat battery??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
barbara.fletcher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: 1000 for a flat battery?? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee in the UK. Yesterday when I went to the car I pressed the remote unlock button and nothing happened. I then used the key to unlock the drivers door expecting the alarm to go off, but everything remained silent. So I guessed a flat battery and connected a battery charger. I have no idea why the battery went totally flat, I checked the headlights but they were off, it may be possilbe that the tailgate wasn't properly closed but I wouldn't expect this to drain the battery in under 24 hours, the car was used the previous day.

After charging the battery for several hours I tried to start the car, it started ran for two seconds and cut out. I tried this several times not realising this was a security feature for an unrecognised key. After several attempts the starter failed to turn, now absolutely nothing is happening. Won't start.

I then phoned my authorised Chrysler dealer for advice, they advised me it was a computer reset and I needed to get the vehicle to them. Easier said than done, I am 50 miles from the dealer and had to use a breakdown recovery company.

This evening I received a call from the dealer and they have said they have now reset the car but I now need a new steering lock module and a wireless control module, when I challenged this they told me they locked out because the battery went flat and they cannot be reset. The warranty ran out two weeks ago. I have been quoted 450 ($900 USD) for the modules alone, this is without considering labour at 120 ($240 USD)per hour.

What can I do? I have my suspicions that something doesn't smell quite right here. Any advice or opinions people, please!
Brad S

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

too new for my advice - im at '95 ZJ.

Wish I could help, maybe a newer DC thing...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Outcome.

This morning I spoke again to the dealer. He says the recall (F20) was carried out in June 2006, six months before I bought the vehicle. They suggested speaking to Jeep UK about the issue. This I did, Jeep said this was something the dealer could have done and that they may be able to consider a goodwill payment. So I went back to the dealer again, this time they told me it also needs a new battery and new keys and they would look into the goodwill aspect. Ten minutes later they again called and have categorically stated they will offer no goodwill on the grounds the vehicle is out of warranty and the service criteria has not been met.

This is not the first electronic issue with this vehicle, six months ago one of the keys stopped working, two months ago the second key stopped working. These were replaced by the dealer (360) within the warranty period - they refused to pay for both keys despite warranty and after discussion paid for one key. Two weeks later one of the new keys packed up, this was changed under warranty. (Yet another 100 mile round trip) I have suggested this may be linked to the current problem, this is vehemently denied.

I AM NOW BEING CHARGED FOR WHAT IS A KNOWN FAULT ON THE VEHICLE! with the excuse I have not met Chryslers service criteria.

I am extremely disgruntled. I have asked Jeep what stops this happening again, I have not been answered.

The only positive I have is that the dealer has now telephoned back to say the battery is now accepting a charge and may not need to be changed and that they can carry out the work by wednesday or thursday. (it is now monday)

I have totally lost faith in this vehicle, I now need to consider whether I can risk keeping it any longer. I will NEVER buy another Jeep.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barbara.fletcher wrote:
The Outcome.

I have totally lost faith in this vehicle, I now need to consider whether I can risk keeping it any longer. I will NEVER buy another Jeep.

Have you ever owned a Jeep before this one? Are you basing this conclusion on the one Jeep that you've owned for a limited time? You should sell it and get a nice little Honda, then you won't feel the need to come here and complain! Wink
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should have just tried replacing the battery and going from there. Sometimes, batteries die and die fast, too. One day they work, the next day they don't.
kirkwood007

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the jeep is not the problem. I have had several jeeps and none of them were problem free. Its kind of a known fact that we all will work on every jeep we buy... or atleast in my circle of friends and family. I agree with Orange. Maybe a honda or a nissan is more your style.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or you could contact the guys at J33p.org they are all over England.. Maybe they could help you out..

Good luck with the problems. Hope you dont get soured on Jeeps because of a few problem..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: