Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

whats up with this?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleZJ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: whats up with this? Reply with quote

Hi, I have a 97 ZJ with a 4L and somtimes when i go to start it just clicks then theres nothing at all, no gauges or lights. I check the voltage on the batterie and its 12.2V. I let the Jeep sit for a few minutes then tried it again and it started but I had to give it some gas to start then the digital odometer would flash on and off when reving the engine. The voltage gage was just bellow 14. I drove it home which was about a 5 minute drive and just before i got home the check gages light came on and the voltmeter was over 19. I got home shut it off and then it wouldn't start again. I removed the positive batterie cable cleaned it up but it back on and away it went. It seem like theres only a certain position the positive batterie clamp can be for it to start. Any help as to what could be causing this would be great. I dont want to just throw parts at it. Thanks. Oh yeah sorry for the long post.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would clean both cables and terminals thoroughly. If it still happens one of the cables could be corroded under the plastic, causing a short in certain positions. You may need a new cable.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup.. I would check cables .. And then if the cables are good check your ignition switch..

Good luck

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
PurpleZJ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll do that today
Drake69

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your ZJ come with the factory security system? My dad's '93 did and when it went haywire we had all sorts of problems trying to start it up. We ended up removing the entire security system and it never had a problem after that, but when it did it would disable the starter (solenoid???) and the Jeep would sit there clicking. It would also drain the battery misfiring every so often for no reason, which was even more fun.

PurpleZJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No It doesn't have a factory security system. I cleaned up the posts and cables real good and so far so good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: