Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Score! Dana 60 rear into TJ....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polar01

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Score! Dana 60 rear into TJ.... Reply with quote

I just scored a Dana 60 rear axle (30spl, full-floater, open diff, 4.10's) for $125 off craig's list! Was only 45min away, couldn't resist. It's in great shape with zero damage. So, after looking into bracketry to swap it into my TJ after the engine goes in (i'm accumulating all parts before I dig into this opus) I checked Dynatrac, M.O.R.E., Rubicon Express, Ballistic Fab, and B.T.F. for a bracket kit for this swap, and I can't find everything in one kit.

Does anyone know of a place I can get a complete bracket kit (pre-welded) without having to piece everything together? Ballistic makes coil bucket/shock mounts in one tidy unit but they're unwelded, and my welder at home is a puny arc, which i'm not comfortable using on anything structural. I think i've got the disc brake conversion kit I want lined up already.

Also, I'm contemplating making my own U/L F/R control arms instead of buying the JKS ones, the JKS units are awesome, but at $1300 for the 4, I think I can make my own with the help of Ballistic Fab stuff for way cheaper. The question here is how will the Ballistic Joints (or any heim joint-type arms) hold up with this being an (almost) daily driver? I know they're rebuildable, but everyone I've talked to at the local 4x4 shop is using JKS, or bought a complete lift kit with arms.

I should just save up and buy a real f-ing welder...
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MORE, RE, and Teraflex all make complete bracket kits. I'm not sure what you believe is missing from them.

MORE is for the 8.8. RE is for a D44. Tera's are for D60s.
Polar01

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never checked Teraflex. Just found the kit on their site, thanks. Not knowing everything I needed to swap it in, I didn't feel comfortable trying to piece things together for fear of not getting enough, or too much, was just looking for a nice tidy all-in-one kit. Tera had it, thanks alot man!
DOUBLEDUCE

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Poly Preformance Reply with quote

I got all my axle mounting brackets from Poly Preformance, Gen right, and poison spyder, also carries bracket How wide is the axle? My new axles are 63" and that is 2.5 inch wider than stock. I made some of my control arms from chrome moly tubing and added heim joints that are threaded nipple ends. you just weld in. but the heims and tubing isn't cheap!![/img]
Polar01

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new axle is 66" WMS/WMS it's out of a 1-ton Dodge 4x4 P/U. I think I remember the stock Jeep D35 being 60", so i'll have to narrow it a bit, was thinking 62" would be good because my fender flares are 1" wider than stock and stick out 1/2" further than my tires. It's trivial, I know, but there's no reason form can't follow function. I'm lucky to have DTS here local, will have them handle the narrowing, but I want to as much of this myself as I can. That's how you learn.

As far as the heims, it just seems cheaper to build them myself rather than hand over 1300 bones.

Doug
DOUBLEDUCE

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Hey Doug Reply with quote

You are right the d35 is 60.5 inches, and anywhere around 62" 63" is great. I went with 63" because that's what Currie recommend. Can they chop down the tube and axles easly? the bars i made were easy to do.
Just slip the Heim block into the end of the tubing and weld around. then you can adjust in or out 2 inches too set your track and pinion angle.
Bill
Polar01

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to attempt the narrowing myself after I install the disc brake conversion to see what the wms/wms measurement is after the drums are gone. Will probabaly have the Tera bracket kit welded at the 4x4 shop i'm going to now (www.2trackmindsoffroad.com) as my welder is a wuss and I actually want the mounts in the right position. I've been searching on narrowing axles and it doesn't really look that tough, but we'll see. I just want to do as much as I can myself.

The Tera kit is actually for a Dana 44, but their tech department said I can either fill in the gaps with weld, or with some minor trimming, can be made to fit the radius of the Dana 60's tubes for a cleaner install.

My local shop also recommended Dutchman axle shafts due to the "custom width" i'm trying to achieve. Never heard of them.

I could cut them down and re-spline them here at work (www.idcind.com) we make monster gearboxes for mining applications, US Steel, Severstal, Timken, and a bunch of other companies. But I want to upgrade it to a 35 spline. I priced out making my own, but even doing it on my own time, it was a few bucks cheaper just to buy them. Would be cool to say I made my own shafts though....
Polar01

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone out there is contemplating narrowing a Dana 60...

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/mopp_0704_dana_60_rear_end_build/axle_tubes.html

If you click on the pics, you get another page with many more detailed pics.
dacvsac

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Score. Dana 60 in a TJ Reply with quote

Doug, If you are looking to do your own control arms, I have a kit that I bought before I found what I wanted at Rubicon Express. I have a 4 ft length of 125 DOM tubing and the weld-in heim joints. Still in the box. E-mail dacvsac@yahoo.com for photo. I paid over $200, but $100 plus postage from northern CA will get it out of my garage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: