Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aeroforcetech scan gauge review

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if the gauge is in a place that's not easy to see on the fly, what's the advantage of it over a handheld scanner? It looks like one gauge costs just about the same as a decent handheld OBD II scanner. So it seems to me that you would get more bang for your buck with a scanner that you would be able to use inside or outside the vehicle.

Even if it was mounted in a highly visible location, most handhelds can capture data regarding all parameters over time, allowing you to set baselines that can be compared later to data captured when there is a problem. In addition, you can use handhelds on multiple vehicles. Using me as an example, I have 4 OBDII vehicles; 2 Jeeps a Mazda and a Toyota. My handheld works with everyone of them...

I can see the usefulness of this type of gauge on a heavily modified performance engine that has an OBDII ECU (and if/when I stroke the motor in the XJ, I might look at this with more interest). However, I just don't see the advantage of it over a normal scanner for everyday and/or offroad applications.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My choice of location was based on my use. You could also buy any standard 2 1/16" gauge housing if you wanted it for up top. There are lots of gauge pods for dash and pillar mounting out there. For my use however, it was very easy to put in, looks good and does what I need.

Also FYI, it will give you a lot of advanced parameters that a scantool won't but as you said it's a different type of application. One thing I like is that if I want to add any kind of sensors later that work on 0-5 VDC, you can just add them and connect to the gauge. This means you could monitor anything you want. You could add a pressure switch for instance on an air tank and know if you dropped down below a designated pressure, etc. and have it indicate however you want it to. You can pretty much monitor anything you can put a 5 volt sensor (or switch) on. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but I myself prefer not having to keep a separate scan tool that I take in or out. I like having one built into the vehicle.

Anyways, I am very happy I have mine and I'm sure some other Jeepers will find it useful as well now that therte is one available for them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Projects & Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: