Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

High pitch squeeking noise under the hood

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hollywoodrey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: High pitch squeeking noise under the hood Reply with quote

Can anybody tell me what a failing power steering resevoir sounds like? I think mine may be out.

Also, what would make a high pitch squeeling noise which seems to get worse as I build up speed. Just started! It seems to be coming from the driver side. I cannot find it and the belt and all pulleys have been replaced and or lubed.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the noise get louder when you turn the the steering wheel all the way to either side?
Hollywoodrey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: chirping bird that's screaming for its life Reply with quote

No it doesn't. The power steering is fine. No noise.

The sound is like a chirping bird that's screaming for its life, lol.
I was thinking maybe its the power steering reservoir.
Ford Prefect

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: chirping bird that's screaming for its life Reply with quote

Hollywoodrey wrote:
No it doesn't. The power steering is fine. No noise.

The sound is like a chirping bird that's screaming for its life, lol.
I was thinking maybe its the power steering reservoir.

Hollywoodrey, you have to forgive, as people do not know you personally, we have no idea how much mechanical skill you have.

The very first thing that comes to mind, of course, is a sloppy power steering belt. Get under the hood and push/pull the belt (perpendicular to the direction it runs) and see if it has any play. More than about 1/2" is too much play. If that is the case you just need to adjust the belt. Second would be the other belts you may have under there. (not knowing what engine you have means you could have more than one belt.)

If you have enough mechanical experience to know to check that, then I would suggest other things like the steering components and such to see how they are doing. IE have you a broken U-joint in there, perhaps something requiring grease that has not gotten it or something?

So far as I have experienced, no, the reservoir would not make any noise, and if the pump itself was going out then it would cause the belt t squeal, but, that would also mean your power steering would no longer be working either. Follow?

Well, good luck to you.
Hollywoodrey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS!

After going crazy and feeling as if everyone was looking at me in an odd way every time I drove down the road, lol . . . I tracked it to being the belt. You are RIGHT! I only have one which I recently replaced several months ago so I was ruling this out. Apparently the engine was steamed cleaned without my knowing and ruined the belt. ;)

I replaced it with a higher end Brand myself (lots of mechanical skills) and; PRESTO, no squealing.

I appreciate your responding.

Regards

HR
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced it with a higher end Brand myself (lots of mechanical skills) and; PRESTO, no squealing.

My Morning Jacket
Turbogus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

High pitched squeak?
Kill the mouse and keep on wheelin'
thumbs
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> CJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: