Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone drive daily without front anti-sway bar?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> TJ Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RDNZL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Anyone drive daily without front anti-sway bar? Reply with quote

I was off road and I heard some clunking noise when I would go over bumps. I found that the anti-sway bar connectors were busted at the rubber at the top. Well that let them rub on the brake line, not a good thing so I took them off. In trying to remove the top piece, one of them broke, so I had to remove the A-SB to get it out. It was rusted in pretty good. Thing is that I didn't have the scratch to go right to the dealer and buy new connectors, let alone the extra money for quick-disconnects. I have been driving around for about a month with the entire front A-SB and connectors off... and I really don't notice too much of a difference. Maybe they actually broke earlier than I thought and didn't notice. I only had the TJ for about 2 months before this, and I have never had a AWB Jeep before. I really don't mind the way it handles.
Anyone else ride without the A-SB???
myrthmaker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to get that fixed. I had the same thing happen but didn't find out it was broke until I almost ended up on my lid during a slight swerve to avoid a dog.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have dont have front or rear sway bars on my xj, and i dont have fronts on my zj
IBTJn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fox2go wrote:
I have dont have front or rear sway bars on my xj, and i dont have fronts on my zj

Neither are TJ's, so that really isn't the same thing.

I've heard of a couple people not running them...but frankly, I wouldn't for very long. I've done it once going no more than 45mph between the trails and our camp spot down the road a couple miles...but other than that, it's really alot safer to have them hooked up. If not for yourself, do it for the people you share the road with. If you get in an accident and they find them missing (by design), the liability might be your's...whether it's really your fault or not.

Just a couple thoughts.
Wink
Muckaneer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had both front and back disconnected for a bit, and it was weird. It felt like turning in a ski boat almost. It was kind of fun, but too dangerous for me.
Muckaneer #1
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the grand is still a 4 link suspension, only diff is wheel base, both are going to have good bit of body roll due to the coil suspension setup

I have a friend with a TJ rubicon that doesnt run the front sway bar, I have driven it, it drives fine, just remember its a jeep, not a race car
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll probably drive OK until you need to swerve to avoid a little kid running into the street. At that point, you will find out why it needs to be hooked up.
berk9

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well unless little kids are running around in the street on a highway thats not really a concern because if your going the speed limit in a neighborhood and you swerve youll be fine. like foxx said its not a race car and if you drive it like a normal person you should be fine. i also dont have sway bars front or rear in my xj on 36s. how tall is your jeep??
1fox2go

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ding ding, at 25 mph, which is residential speed, swerving wont cause a problem

if your concerned with swerving for hitting a deer or other animal, 9 times out of 10 those who swerve cause more damage to their vehicle than if they would have hit the deer or other animal
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you guys have all the answers............
berk9

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks but no not really but we do know how to drive with common sense so you sound awesome
1fox2go

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hutchman wrote:
Looks like you guys have all the answers............

Just speaking from experience there captain kirk, if I had all the answers I would without a doubt admit it and then gloat about it, but since I don't I wont. however I have driven many jeeps with and without sway bars, one of which is a TJ which is the vehicle of question, it handled fine, even if I needed to swerve to avoid the little kid in the road, I would be fine, that is of course unless little kids play on the freeway which evidently they must in your area.

They asked how many drive with out sway bars, I dont on my jeeps, and since they arent TJs I thought i should add that I drove a TJ without sway bars in the front and it handled fine

So yea I guess you could say I have all the answers, or maybe I just know how to drive and avoid those children playing kickball on the highway.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knock the shit off. Kids, the jackass pulling out of a shopping center on the main street in front of you, whatever - when the time comes for you to take evasive action to avoid a collision, you're going to find yourself in a world of hurt. And as was mentioned, when the police/insurance adjusters/lawyers figure out that you've removed a pretty key component for a coil sprung vehicle, get ready to take it dry if somebody got hurt.
berk9

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm i dont think the kids would like that cursing and im fairly sure swerving isnt the key to avoiding accidents or did i miss the part where jeeps dont come with brakes anymore

when it comes down to it its your personal preference and since you didnt notice it for a month i dont think it would be a problem for you to continue to drive without one.
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of beating a dead horse.......

I did some internet research following the above "discussion" because I am convinced that the sway bars are there for a reason....they don't put them on there because they look good! Anyway, I present the following not so much to continue the discussion but to provide some food for thought.

In 1980, 60 minutes did what many consider to be a hatchet job on AMC over the CJ........

Watch the Video

This video on 60 minutes was probably one of the reasons for the change to the YJ in '87.

The following link is from an attorney website and is presented to illustrate the legal exposure we all might have from a roll over - no matter which mods, if any, that we have on our Jeeps.

Top Selling Vehicle Rollover Information

And finally, the results of a Californial Appeals court case in which Suzuki has appealed a case against Consumer Reports. The reason I posted this link is the claim by Suzuki that Consumer Reports made prejudicial effort to show the Zuke would roll over more than it normally would. It seems to me that they clearly did attempt to make seem worse than it really was. You just can't blindly trust anything........

Consumer Reports not always unbiased.......!

Now from my personal experience.......I had a TJ with a 2" BB, 1" BL, and 33/12.50 tires. My son was driving it one day and made a turn slightly faster than he should have, but less than 25 mph - I was a passenger. The Jeep lifted both inside wheels but did not go over. It made a believer out of me.

I recognize that the above info will not change anyone's mind but just realize that any high center of gravity vehicle will tend to roll over more than your average car and this includes pickups, large SUVs, and Jeeps....FWIW.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: