Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

diesel CJ

View previous topic :: View next topic  
el_dubya

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: diesel CJ Reply with quote

So I got a summer internship that is an hour and 15 minutes away. With gas prices, I had to sell my TJ for a car. 30MPG is a lot better than 18 lol. But I missed my Jeep the day I sold it. So. There is a CJ for sale locally. Havent looked at it personally so I don't know what year it is. It has no motor or driveline. I would assume axels are stock. My buddy and me have been contemplating putting a diesel in it. Any thoughts? They are asking $400 for the Jeep, assuming there is no rust on it, does that sound fair? I know the details are limited but I don't know what its worth without the driveline. Oh, spring over lift too.

'98 TJ SE
15x7 ProComp Series 51 Rock Crawler Wheels
31x10.50 General Grabber AT2's
Taurus Fan
Uniden PC68 Elite CB
el_dubya

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot, I can tell from the road that it's a CJ7, so that narrows the years a little.

'98 TJ SE
Taurus Fan
Uniden PC68 Elite CB
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaiser installed small diesels in the CJ from 1962 through 1966 - I believe. It was a Perkins if my memory hasn't failed, and was considered underpowered for it's time.

If you do your homework and install one of the more modern diesels, VWs come to mind, you should have a great running, fairly efficient DD. Diesels also should work great due to their low speed torque characteristics. The downside is weight - they are heavy.

You should be able to google a bunch of info on the web...........
el_dubya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, went and looked at it closer. Looks to be a 78. One of the fenders is rusted out where the grill attaches to it. The floor has been "repaired" but the person who did it couldnt weld. Dash is complete. Missing motor and driveline like I said. and missing headlights. There was a driveshaft in the back. I'm thinking 400 is a bit steep, anybody agree?

'98 TJ SE
Taurus Fan
Uniden PC68 Elite CB
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> CJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: