Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pros and cons for a 249 to nv242 swap

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zjtherightway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Pros and cons for a 249 to nv242 swap Reply with quote

I have 96 zj the famous vc is bad. I drive it daily but wheel it when I can. I am starting to build it up little by little. I am looking for some info on the pros and cons of the swap. I know how to do it am not to interested in the pros and cons of the costs of the swap. What I want to know is, am I going to be happier with the performance off-road just fixing the 249 or will I get the same or better performance with the 242? I will be putting about a 3" lift on it soon (not sure of what lift I want yet) Good T-case and lift combo info would be helful also. I know on the 242 I am going to get a 50/50 power split between the front and rear. Thanks in advance!!!
zjtherightway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: I know someone is here to help Reply with quote

Cmon guys any help here? Why should I go with the 242 over the 249? I like the 2wd feature of the 242 but will the quadra-trac do better than the selec-trac off-road? What do you know?
nixt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problems I had with the 249-242 swap were virtually none after I found a shop that would do it for a reasonable amount of cash. Actually tracking down the correct shifter bezel was the most difficult and time consuming part but swapping that out wasn't absolutely necessary- I just wanted to know exactly how many of my wheels were driven and if it was full or part time. Of course I didn't have to crack the case at all since I made sure I got a 242 with the same length and number of input splines and output splines as well. The installation took little over half a day and they had to slice between 1/2" and a full 1" off the rear driveshaft. This of course depends on how much lift you have and what type of rear axle you have. My ZJ was a 98 5.9 Limited which meant that I have an Aluminum Dana 44. As for lift, I've got the Old Man Emu Suspension kit with the heavy duty shocks & springs as well as a rocky road outfitters 2" budget coil spacer boost. So I've been told by Old Man Emu that now I have between 3" to 3.75" of lift over stock. All I know is that it's enough to fit 32's without any fender trimming. Buying a 242 will be cheaper than it is to fix the VC in the 249 any day of the week- plus you'll get the option of 2wd as well as 4hi full time, 4hi part time as well as 4lo and neutral so you'll get two more drive options than you had with the 249. People told me not to expect any MPG improvement in 2wd but I've seen about a 50% improvement from before where I was getting 8mpg of premium and now I'm getting between 11.5 and 12.5 mpg of premium depending how much city driving I do. As for off road, the only driving I've had time to do since the swap has been at my parent's property (about 40 acres) outside of Atlanta. I haven't really noticed any difference. Just put it in the 4wdhi selector that allows the 48/52% Lock (or is it 50/50%) between the front and rear and you'll go through just as anything as tough as you did with the 249. As you can tell, I highly suggest the 242- just make sure that you match up the input shaft length and spline count or you'll be cracking the case open. If you get one that matches then half of swampy's tech article on the 249-242 swap won't apply to you. Good Luck!
-nixt
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
zjtherightway

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: swap Reply with quote

Great. You covered all my questions. The OME lift was one of two I was considering.
zjtherightway

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: none Reply with quote

I took the front drive shaft off today as the steering was starting to bind up pretty good due to the Twisted Evil coupler being bad and all. It will have to remain this way until I can locate a t-case at a good price. I know about craigslist and ebay but does anyone know of another good place to shop for a 242 over the internet?
nixt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a good price on a used 242 transfer case: Link

I almost forgot about the OME lift kit with 2" budget lift coil spacers- you'll need to get new swaybar links. I made it out of the shop without them, but the mechanic said that he had to "stretch" the stock ones. I ended up snapping the stock ones a few weeks later. I got the disconnects for a lift kit up to 4" for around $100. As for the transfer case, you'll need to find out if the front input shaft length and spline count are the same as the 249 you have now. I believe that the rear output shaft will be the appropriate length and spline count.
I wouldn't drive the Jeep without a front driveshaft though as Swampy says:
Quote:
Nope.. You will begin to damage the 249 right away.. They are not designed to be driven without either shaft.. I pulled my front once and drove home cause I shattered my ring and pinion. It was barely able to climb hills and reved to the sky at every redlight..

Others have said that they have done it.. It did not work for me.. And the trip home completely destroyed my VC ..
But I've never done it so I don't know for sure if it'll break your T-case or not but if your VC is already toast I don't know if it'll make a difference.
According to: http://www.drivetrain.com//transfercaseapp.html and you've got a '96 with a 5.2L then you'll have a 249 with these specs: Quadra-Trac, 23 spline input, 27 spline rear slip, viscous clutch, slip rear output fixed front yoke, shift indicator located above shift lever, 1.75" speedo hole, .840" exposed input shaft
then you'll need a 242 with these specs:
Select-Trac, 23 spine input, 27 spline rear slip, fixed front output yoke, speedo hole, one piece tail housing w/rubber boot, four wire shift indicator located above shifter lever, .840 exposed input shaft
in which case the 242 in the link to ebay that I posted earlier in this reply should work out perfectly.
-nixt
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
zjtherightway

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: swap Reply with quote

Cool! Thanks for all the info. I did a lot of checking and found out that pre 1995 that it was a bad idea to drive with the shaft out. I did see swampys post on that too...almost didnt do it but hey if it breaks, that just means I get my T-case faster through the wife (shes kinda the money boss) lol
ZJ_Ras

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this swap a few months ago and just bit the bullet and got a T-case here:
http://www.transfercases.com/order.htm

It cost me about $900, but the whole swap was nearly flawless and they did all the internal modifications for me. Just let them know what you're wanting to do when you call. I just had to bolt it up when it came and pack up the old one to ship it back(included in price). They've got a good warranty too.

If you go that route though, here are my two recommendations:

- Buy a new set of studs for the new T-case. You can pull the old ones to use, but it's a pain.

- Either get the 242 shift lever that connects your linkage from a bone yard or buy one from a dealer for about $15. I had to go the dealer route because I couldn't find one locally. I used my 249 one for a week, but it only got me 2WD, 4HI and All Time 4 until I changed it out.

'95 ZJ Orvis Edition 5.2L V8 with 210K+ miles Featuring a 2" Budget Boost with Skyjacker Hydro Shocks, 242 T-case swap, JKS Quicker Disconnects, 30x9.5s, cold air intake, throttle body spacer, 136A alternator and a DIY roof rack spare carrier.
zjtherightway

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: updated post Reply with quote

Check out the updated post
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep this one going.
zjtherightway wrote:
ok so I have been searching high and low for a 242 t-case to swap out with my bad vicous coupler 249 case. I have foud a couple with 70k on them at about $300. Now I have come across a 249 that has brand new vc,chain,seal,ect... So its pretty much brand new. The guy only wants $150 bucks. You see were im going with this. I know I want the 2wd option but... My question is, Which one will perform better on the trail?
This is my overall goal to just have the one in there that isnt going to leave stuck on the trail and that will perform better. Can someone explain the power to the wheels between the two? What to you guys think?

zjtherightway

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: gotcha Reply with quote

You got it. Sorry a little new here and am loving every minute of it!
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Code meant was, keep this one going in this thread. You are starting new threads on the same topic. Wink
http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=14361

Glad that you're enjoying the forum!
In case I haven't said it yet.
welcome

Last edited by Orangeamc13 on Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
zjtherightway

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Little more info here Reply with quote

Here is some info I found on what you were talking about "swampy" (per your reply to locked post in drivetrain forum) I have a 1996 so does this mean that mine locks different than a 95...you will see what im talking about at the bottom of all this info. I would like to buy this t-case if in fact I want it...after your expert input one last time.

Quadra-Trac
The Quadra-Trac name is used on a variety of full-time 4WD systems. The first version was launched in 1973, with a new unrelated system used in the 1980s. Yet another system carried the name in the 1990s.

Quadra-Trac was the trade name for the Borg-Warner 1305 and 1339 gearcase. It was a chain-drive system introduced in 1973 on the Jeep SJ trucks behind the General Motors Turbo-Hydramatic 400 automatic transmission. It included a limited slip differential to shift torque between front and rear which could be locked with vacuum. The 1305 lacked a low-range, while the 1339 offered an optional 2.57 planetary gear. A Quadratrac transfercase can be upgraded from a non low range equipped unit to having low range by swapping in the optional planetary housing and shift rod and floor shifter assembly from another transfer case. Consult a factory service manual for service procedures.

The Jeep Quadra-Trac was differentiated from the open New Process Gear NP203 used by Dodge, General Motors, and Ford in that it included a center limited-slip feature, in this case a clutch pack.

Applications:

Jeep Wagoneer 19731979
Jeep Cherokee 19731979
Jeep Honcho 19731979
Jeep CJ-7 19761979
The Borg-Warner system was replaced with a New Process Gear NP219-based chain-driven system in 1980 [1]. Applications:

Jeep Wrangler 1987
Jeep Cherokee (XJ) 19841987
The NP207-based system was replaced with a New Venture Gear NV249-based chain-driven system in 1992.

The NV249 utilizes a "Viscous Coupler" to determine power transfer between the front and rear axles. The goal of this device is to provide smooth and efficient 4WD operation on dry surfaces--if a differential in speed occurs between the axles, heat buildup in the viscous coupler transfers power to the slower axle, providing some traction in off road conditions.

1993-1995 NV249 transfer cases used the viscous coupler to transfer power in both high and low ranges.

1995-1998 NV249 transfer cases had a low-lock capability, meaning a hard gear transferred power in 4LO.

Applications:

Jeep Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 19931998
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zjtherightway wrote:
ok so I have been searching high and low for a 242 t-case to swap out with my bad vicous coupler 249 case. I have foud a couple with 70k on them at about $300. Now I have come across a 249 that has brand new vc,chain,seal,ect... So its pretty much brand new. The guy only wants $150 bucks. You see were im going with this. I know I want the 2wd option but... My question is, Which one will perform better on the trail?
This is my overall goal to just have the one in there that isnt going to leave stuck on the trail and that will perform better. Can someone explain the power to the wheels between the two? What to you guys think?

You should swap out the 249 with a 242 or 231 and never look back. 249's are crap! If you look around you could probably get a 249 for free, because nobody wants them, $150 is very expensive for a P.O.S..

I also think $300 is way too high on the 242. I picked up a '96 242 recently for $20. Someone was parting out a rolled XJ. If you keep looking you'll find the right price. I know $20 is unrealistic, but some local junkyards around here only charge $75 for any t-case, which is cheap. I wouldn't pay more than $150.

Are you set on the 242? What about a 231? Either way, you'd be better off than having that 249 under your Jeep!

zjtherightway

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: swap Reply with quote

Ok the 249 is out of my head!

I just know that the 231 is gunna probably cost me more for everything than the 242...not too worried about the work involved. I think you mentioned in one of you posts or maybe I saw you cover the pros and cons of the 231/242 swap on your website when you did the swap (nice sight by the way) I need to check it out again. I remember when I was reading about it that it sounded like the dollars would start adding up for me on the 231...but if its gunna be somethin that I wish that I did then I will do it from the start as I have semi big plans for this rigg. What do you think?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: