Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie with a question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cprdummy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Newbie with a question Reply with quote

Hello folks...I just found this site today and have really enjoyed reading questions and answers in the forum.

I just bought a '95 Cherokee Country 4.0 auto 4x4 for my son. There is a 'roaring' sound or noise coming from the front. Sounds almost like it needs to go into a higher gear. Thought it might not be going into OD, but tach reads about 1500 at 45-50 mph. Sounds the same when I bump the shifter up to neutral.

I'm suspecting wheel bearings???

I am going to replace the brakes all the way around and thought I would also address wheel bearings while I'm at it.

Can anyone direct me to a link for how-to replace wheel bearings? I like pictures!

Any thoughts on what else may cause this noise. My wife told me she hears a metal 0n metal noise in tight turns, but I haven't driven it in a tight turn and not heard this sound.

Thanks, Bubba
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the front bearings are a real PITA . i have never had one come out in under 20 minutes .

i usually put a puller on the bearing and hit it with a 8lbs hammer at the same time and heat it with a torch .

i once got it out with the 8lb hammer alone but the puller and heat helps a lot , also got one out with my cutting torch alone hahah .

good idea to purchase a haynes manual for your jeep , you could have mine but you probably don't want to drive here and get it .

there are 3 12 point bolts on the back of the knuckle that hold the bearing in .

use lots of penetrating oil and lots of heat .
jppilot61

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never done this but have heard that if you place a socket behind the bearing and then start vehicle, and use the power steering it will gently pop out (AFTER the appropriate bolts have been removed!)

I'd have to go examine mine to figure out exactly where the socket has to be placed but I have heard from reliable sources that this trick is valid and works great.

When I did mine I just BANGED on it with BFH and old rotten flat bladed screwdriver.

http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=257794

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all depends on how rusted in the bearing is . if i was to do one today i would use one of my 10 tonne hydraulic rams , bought some that are only 2 inches long . there awesome , but not cheap .
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangeamc13 wrote:
Here is the trick I use to pull a stubborn hub. After removing all that is necessary, put a 3" extension between the knuckle and the outer axle, then turn the steering wheel and the hub pops off!

Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome
jppilot61

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it! Socket - 3" inch extension; I was close!

Thanks Orange!

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jppilot61 wrote:
That's it! Socket - 3" inch extension; I was close!

Thanks Orange!

Wink
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, awesome tips for pulling the bearing. Where was this 3 months ago when I was wailing on it with a hammer and chisel? Shocked Oh well, I still have to do the other side in the spring.

Can the poster be more descriptive on the noise? Can we assume it is at certain speeds and/or changes pitch with speed? If you do change the bearing you should replace the axle U-joint at the same time while it's apart. The $15 insurance is worth it. BTW, it could be a bad U-joint you are hearing. Many posts in hear about them, they seem to only last about 5 years.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
adamzski

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just used a regular gear puller on mine, took about 10 secs. with the impact on it.
Mud Terrains
Jet performance chip
K&N Intake
Flowmaster exhaust
Custom wheels
Locked Diffs
Kenwood head, infinity speaks, pioneer subs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamzski wrote:
i just used a regular gear puller on mine, took about 10 secs. with the impact on it.

How did you get the jaws to grab it? I've changed many that the outer hub pulls away from the bearing if pulled on.

Did you push against the axle shaft with the center bolt? shock

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: