Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

88 XJ standard tranny removel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
indsrty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: 88 XJ standard tranny removel Reply with quote

whats up guys,jeep im trying to drop my tranny to replace clutch and slave. i have removed all but two bolts that hold tranny to engine. which are on very top. i got the I6 . i have dropped transfercase. how would i get to thse two bolts. PLease Help. ........ thanks .... MIKe
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could lower the tranny a bit to allow you to get to the bolts from below or jack it up some and try to get them from above. I usually get them from below with about 2' of extension on my ratchet.
djgrayxj

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I donít now for sure but the 2 bolts in question might be the dreaded 12mm (external torx) head bolts?
Put a swivel on the 2í extension, pick a socket of choice [12mm external torx the best if that is what they are, 9mm 6 point might fit OK] MAKE SURE SOCKET IS ON BOLT SQUARE and test how well it fits the bolts, if doesnít fit real tight STOP and open this post.

External torx bolt info on tranny
By b-radly-05
http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=73933&highlight=#73933

What ever you donít round a bolt off or you will be pulling motor and tranny as you-net or cutting open your floor to cut the head off the bolt.
indsrty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

ok thanks, i feared all that you might say. its gotta be done . so thanks again. MIKe
djgrayxj

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how the project comes out, or if you need more advice. Update the bolts in question they might be #12 not 12mm (external-torx). Which ever size they are, once they are removed take them to some place that has a good bolt selection and have them matched with a bolt that has a standard head on it. Then throw the oddball things away. Hope all goes well.
djgrayxj

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snap-on calls the socket E12
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?item_ID=1205&group_ID=253
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: