Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whats stronger 231 or 242

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stomper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Whats stronger 231 or 242 Reply with quote

I know they are a little different like the 4 hi and stuff but which one will let me down on the trail first? This is really all im worried about.

Im familiar on what to look out for when I go to the salvage yard as far as the shafts, housings and splines...anything else?

Also, what should I look to replace at the same time I swap one of these out with my 249?

Also, can you tell me a little about the slip yoke I will need with each...I want to be able to change both front and rear shafts on the trail without losing fluid but need a little more info on all this.

I have been told that this is the place to find my answers...hope someone can help.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

np 231 is stronger then the np 242 . but not drastically stronger , the np231 can also have the chain upgraded to a wider one .

your original drive shafts should be fine .

count the splines on your and the splines on the new one to be sure . you can also get them out of dakota's and other cherokee's
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 231 is better for other reasons also.. The Planetary gear in the 242 is the weak spot.. I got into a bind pulling a blazer out of a mud pit a while back and totally wrecked the planetary gears in mine.. It was a mess... Mr. Green

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
zjtherightway

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

What should I look for on making the 231 as strong as I can for as cheap as possible...(of course)
I have found a 231j for $90. Guy says it works fine. What should I look for when I open it up...what parts are just a good idea to replace while I am in there?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: