Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

95GC cargo area leak

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leaknjeep

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: 95GC cargo area leak Reply with quote

The floor/carpet by the liftgate in my 95GC is getting wet when it rains--quarter panel to quarter panel. In a light rain it seems to be more at the quarter panel sides than in the center by the gate latch. The liftgate seal is in good shape and dry and I don't see any water on the lower liftgate opening trim (scuff plate). I am wondering if it is coming in from the vents between the quarter panel glass and the liftgate. Looking inside the vent trim I see a tall black rectangular vent. If the seal at the top of this is worn out, it looks like water could run down the edges of the liftgate and onto this if the jeep was parked at an angle. Am I looking in the wrong place for the leak? If not, how to I get the vent cover off to seal around the inside vent? I am going to pull the quarter panel trim and hose it down soon to see, but any advise it helpful.

Thanks
--leak'n
badger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might want to check the ceiling right under were the rear roof rack bolts are.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a flat head screw driver and some prying will get your vent covers off..

When I took mine off I painted them Black. They looked cooler black since the paint was chipping on them.. Mr. Green

Good luck..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
leaknjeep

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, "gentle" prying did the trick. I had time to take the cargo area trim out, drill out the tie down hooks and pull the carpet all the way back. The underlying matting was soaked all the way up to the back seats--a little funky, but no mushrooms grow'n.

I found several places just above and to the side of the the tail lights where the body wasn't sealed and water tracks in when hosing the top of the jeep. The drains in the floor of the D-pillars for the vents were also stuck (mud in underside drain housing). The foam seal on the small black vents behind the vent grills are shot. I made new thick foam gaskets but they still leak, so I'll get out the gasket goo and seal around the foam--this is where most of the water is coming in I think. I know it will drain, but with a lot of water if fills up the bottom of the D-pillar fast and then into the cargo area. The roof rack is tight--wouldn't have thought about that for a while.

I also noticed that some water is running down the inside of the liftgate seal. It is transitioning from the outside of the seal to the inside about half way up the side--weird. I can re-goo the v-groove where it attaches to the body, but I wouldn't mind replacing it to get a tighter seal. The local dealer wants a bucket of money for one, any recommendations on where to get one online, I am just turning up CJ parts so far?

Regards, leak'n less
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: