Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stupid weather. Could I have damaged my transfer case?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CTSHIRT

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: Stupid weather. Could I have damaged my transfer case? Reply with quote

Last night we had some bad weather so i put my 91 4x4 into 4x4 full time. I got home parked the jeep then went back out 30 minutes later when the weather was clear. I put the jeep back into 2wd but it didnt feel right. All of a sudden I gear groaning and grinding sounds. I quickly stopped and put the jeep in park and cycled through all the 4x4 options.

After that I put it back into 2wd and there was only a little groaning noise and the PART time 4x4 light was still on. I drove 5 minutes thinking it might go off and half way down the road i start feeling clunks under my feet. I get to my destination and shut it off and let it stil for 15 minutes. I fired it up and cycled through 4x4 options again and this time when i went to neutral I heard a big CLUNK.

I put it back to 2wd and everything seems fine except now when i drive something sounds loose. No groaning or grinding it seems to be fine. Just a wiggling noise like the sound of a bad strut. I only really does it when I go over bumps in the road. I hope everything is fine im new for 4x4's so I want your guys opinion if i damaged anything. Thanks!
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can drive your jeep around on dry pavement and go drag racing with it in the FULL TIME mode that you say you were in , if it was in part time and your tires are different size it could be a little hard on the t-case .

i have drained fluid out of those t-cases with more mud then atf . and launched them pretty good off the line in 4x4 .

i would check u-joint and change the oil , find any metal chunks in there ? check tranny and engine mounts . the linkage to the lever might be loose or need to be adjusted . or the chain is stretched to shit . Smile

when you want to get out of 4x4 some times you have to go in reverse or shock the drive line with some rapid throttle movement .
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NP242 (Full Time / Part Time) transfercase is a rock.

The one in my '90 is a little finicky; such as I have to be in nuetrual to shift in and out of any mode.

Before I figured that out I too got some grinds and groans out of it. Mine isn't damaged.

Tim

1986 Pioneer, 1990 Laredo, 1991 Sport, 1993 Sport & 1998 Sport.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: