Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

249 to 231 swap help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zjtherightway

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: 249 to 231 swap help Reply with quote

I need some help here pretty quick as I have the chance to go get a 231 out of a 93 yj with 60K for $100. They go fast where I live at this price.
I have done a little reading on it and these are my questions, There is talk of a "gear cut" issue that changes between 94 and 95. They say it wont work whithout buying the right gear to match??? Not sure on the spline count...can I just swap with the 249 and be ok? Also is the front yoke different on the Yj and if so can I replace it with mine? Will I run into any other issues with plugs/linkage or???
Its a complete 93 yj should I get any other parts? ie: drive shafts, linkage, lever, wiring or maybe the the plate next to the lever on the interior that matches the 231 so I know what gear im in. Like 2hi, 4hi N 4low.
Thanks for any help
zjtherightway

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys dont need to answer all the questions. I would hope you would know the answer to just a few though? Please help.
Would a 97 wrangler 231 work better for me?
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're ready to swap inputs, you can make just about any 231 work in your Jeep. I would opt for a 96 or newer, so it'll have the external slip yoke. I've had an 88 231 from an XJ, and currently have a 96 242 from an XJ, both of which I've used the original input gear from the 249. The 97 TJ case should work fine. Use this link to check out he spline counts, it may help some.

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/transfer_case_replacements_and_parts/jeep.html
zjtherightway

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 231. The guy I bought it from said it was from a 94 Cherokee.
The output looks like it may be ok.
The 231 is a 21 spline input so I will need to put the 249 input on it. Will this work?
Do I need to worry about the "gear cut issue" or will the parts from the 249 that are going in the 231 take care of this issue?
What kind of fluid will need to go in the 231?
Can I just take out the vaccum line thing and put a bolt in its place?
Can I move the speedo over too?
I want to pull the 249 off asap but I cat have it down long so I just want to know if I have everything before I start.
I have a good pair of snaprings.
I have beer.
I have a rear tranny seal.
I have front and rear xj driveshafts...just in case.
Jack.
Tools.
What am I missing?

Thanks for any help
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that should work. Not sure about the gear cut issue. You'll know once you get the cases split. Use Dexron III or higher. 231's, 242's, & 249's all use this fluid. Just leave the 4wd switch, there's no need to remove it. Swap the speedos, make sure you note the way they're installed. Save the beer till after the job is done and everything should go smoothly!

If you run into any problems at all, don't be afraid to ask. I'll try my best to help you out! Wink

zjtherightway

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I puled it apart last night. The input gears on the 249 look a liitle more pointed where the gears from the 231 are a little more squared off on the top. Another thing, the 249 input wont fit all the way into the 231...the input bearings are different. Can I move the bearing and the big round gear over? Its this or find another short 23 spline input. I think these are my only options.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zjtherightway wrote:
Another thing, the 249 input wont fit all the way into the 231...the input bearings are different. Can I move the bearing and the big round gear over?

Yes, that'll work. I've had to swap the bearings on swaps in the past.
zjtherightway

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like I can change the bearing but not the low range annulus gear.

Here is a link, page 14 #50. http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PDFs/New%20Jun%202003/Jeep%20component%20service%20manual%20TCase_NP231.pdf

I think I need to look for another pre 94 short 23 spline input gear.

Btw: If this link is not already available on jeephorizons, can you place it somewhere?
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try just swapping the bearing to see if the input will work with the gear already there. Try different setups, like the 249 input and planetaries in the 231, or the 249 input and the 231 planetaries in the 231. Don't give up on the case you have yet.
zjtherightway

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gear cut is clearly different. Just Google "swap gear cut" I just dont want to risk it. I dont see any other way to make it work. I can take pics and let you judge?
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zjtherightway wrote:
The gear cut is clearly different. Just Google "swap gear cut" I just dont want to risk it. I dont see any other way to make it work. I can take pics and let you judge?

I definitely don't have to google anything, I'm fully versed in what's going on. If you don't want any advice, then why ask for it. That's twice you've given me a link or told me to google something. I'm not the one asking questions here!
wack it

You aren't risking anything by checking to see if they work. If they don't mesh, you'll know right away by the gears binding when turned by hand. If the cases are already split, this would take about 5 minutes. It might work and it might not. You'll never know if you don't try. Searching the web is good for guidelines, hands on approach is better! If you're going to do things your own way, then don't ask questions, make a write up.

zjtherightway

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangeamc13 wrote:
zjtherightway wrote:
Another thing, the 249 input wont fit all the way into the 231...the input bearings are different. Can I move the bearing and the big round gear over?

Yes, that'll work. I've had to swap the bearings on swaps in the past.

The reason for the links are because only half my questions are answered
I asked if the big gear could be moved over...I found the answer so I thought I would post it up for others to see just in case they were having the same problems.

I have read three write ups where the gears looked different but didnt bind and they failed. When I first compared the two they were clearly different. Of course I tryed it different ways but only for shits and giggles as I already was warned that even if it fit and spun with no binding that it would fail after awhile. Dont get me wrong, im temted to do it cause the 249 does spin in the 231 it just looks alot tighter.

The links are for you ORANGE if you want them but most intended for anyone that they may help with the same problems that I am running into.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beating dead horse
zjtherightway

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a 1990 231 that fit without swapping any internal parts. I did not have an electronic spedo and the one that came out of the 249 case wouldnt work without changing the gear. So until I get the right gear here is my question. The check engine light came on after the swap. I am guessing this is due to the spedo being disconnected. Every other time I go to drive it, it runs rough and feels like it slips in gears. I then will turn it off for a couple of minutes and restart it and it will run and shift perfect.
Would the spedo being disconnected cause this? It does this hot or cold.
XJwheelerZJ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good stuff i'm switching to a 231 from a 249 soon both "93 ZJs so it should have the speedo plug and 23 spline shaft
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: