Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scanner Advice Needed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Scanner Advice Needed Reply with quote

I'm looking for a good police/fire scanner to put in my Jeep. I don't know much about scanners or radios but I am very interested in them and would like to learn more.

What would be a good scanner to put in my Jeep for picking up the local police/fire frequencies?

I live in a small town and a mostly un-populated county (Siskiyou County) in Northern California so I would imagine interference wouldn't be much of an issue.

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you -

Tim

1986 Pioneer, 1990 Laredo, 1991 Sport, 1993 Sport & 1998 Sport.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more knowledgeable about radios than scanners but if I were you, I'd probably look into something like a handheld scanner that you could attach an external (roof) antenna to. Without the antenna, I don't know how good your reception would be in your area. I don't imagine there are too many agencies up there using trunked systems, so a regular scanner should do the trick.
Drake69

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Radio Shack Pro-2096 Digital Trunking scanner in my heep. It's large, but I cut the front vents out from the dash to fit it in. There are other mounts you can use, but I found that this was the best setup for the cabin size I have. I also run an extra coax antenna to the roof for improved reception.

There are other handheld scanners out there so shop around. It's important to look for a scanner with these features:

1: Digital trunking. Without it, you won't be able to hear most cop frequencies since they either no longer use analog or in the process of moving over to trunking.

2: Auto-band programming. Attempting to find frequencies to program into your new scanner can be a royal headache. Most newer scanners can auto-program frequencies by region so you won't have to hunt everywhere to find good codes.

3: Wide-range frequency coverage. Everything from 25-50MHz VHF-Lo to 806-960MHz (excluding cellular bands) and 1240-1300MHz can be received with the exception of exclusive gov't frequencies (FBI, etc...), cop task force (DEA, ATF, etc...), all military bands, and Air Traffic Control/Commercial Air Broadcasting.

4: PC-to-scanner linkup. Allows for easy updating, programming, and unlocking features to make your scanner more effective.

5: Weather band. Always nice to have this feature. Picks up WX weather bands from NOAA that are broadcast all across the country and free to use.

6: Manual programming and personal code storage. For all those special codes you happen to find, it's nice to have anywhere from 100 ~ 1000 empty storage banks to keep them in. Also, with a PC link, you can backup and restore your personal frequencies in case you accidently delete one.

Here is a handheld model that's pretty popular, and has many of the features I've listed:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2036238

ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find out what frequencies and systems the local emergency service agencies are using. Start there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Electronic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: