Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cracked head

View previous topic :: View next topic  
provo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: cracked head Reply with quote

ok i thought it was my freeze plugs when i went to replace them i noticed the actual engine was cracked shock is there ANY way to fix this besided getting a new engine?? the crack is right above the freeze plugs. i really cant afford a new engine right now. please help

-dan-
FARMER

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago a buddy had a Dodge Dart with a slant 6 in it, he "repaired" a cracked block with JB WELD, it would hold for about 4 months then he'd redo it, he drve it about 3 years like that. He ran with the radiator cap loose to prevent the pressure from reopning the crack.
kaos

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do our resident experts say about welding the crack? I'm not a welder, and from what I have heard welding cast iron is a pain, but I have also heard that it is possible, given the right materials. I guess it might depend on the location of the crack whether this is an option.

--
Regards,
Kári
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be looking at a another engine block.
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner is correct, a new block is the best answer. However, several years ago a good friend of mine did not get the block in his drag boat drained before cold weather and it cracked the water jacket. We took a grinder and opened up the crack slightly to get a good surface for the JB weld to adhere to. We then applied JB weld to the crack as directed on the package and let it cure for a week before putting water back in. This repair held up for 3 or 4 years and as far as I know is still holding.

One caution..........do not grind completely through the block or you will have to buy a new one. Only grind the surface to get down to fresh metal.

FWIW.......
IBTJn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your title says "Cracked Head" and you are saying now it's the block? I'm confused. ???

If it's the head you should be able to replace it (either used and resurfaced or new). If it's the block, then what Hutch said.

Wink
provo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea its the block. my buddy found a place that sells engines for me (actually it was for his cobra the timing just worked out for me) they said they have the jeep 4.0 brand new with a three year 100,000 mile warranty for $2300 delivered so i thinking that wouldnt be to bad of a deal, as long as i can find somebody to install it for relatively cheap. thanks for the help
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: