Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

model year differences for used tj's ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mooch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: model year differences for used tj's ? Reply with quote

Ok so I have decided to buy a used tj and mod it myself. I want a manual transmission. Are there any major differences in years as far as drive train goes? any years or options to stay away from?

thanks
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The transmission switched to the NV3550 in '00. It's supposed to be a little stronger than the previous 5spd. Also in '00, the 4.0l went with a distributorless ignition system. '01 and newer come with the heavier and quieter "sailcloth" soft tops. Other than that, most changes have been cosmetic. I'd look for a D44 rear while your shopping, you've expressed interest in going bigger, so that'd save ya the hassle of swapping out the rear end.

Other significant changes were a new 4 spd auto in '03 and the same year they switched replaced the 4cyl, but that shouldn't matter since you're looking for a 5spd/4.0l combo. Good luck with it.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I agree with what drack said but I want to emphasize the dana 44. It'll save you so much hassle in the long run. Confused
Candi
Sick Puppy
Sick Puppy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I beg to differ. The 44 rear in a TJ is weaker than, for example, the common Wagyy 44 swap in. They get damaged easier and are far more expensive to replace parts in. Are they better than the 35? Yeah. But if you want something beefier, you may end up upgrading to a better 44.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But he can get more for the d44 than the d35 when he sells it after swapping it out. Wink
Personally, I'm in the midst of an 8.8 swap, but once I'm finished, I suspect I'm going to be stuck with the d35 because there just doesn't seem to be much of a market out there for a used/leaking/broken/bent d35.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll also agree that the TJ44 isn't necessarily gawd's answer to bulletproof, but for the price difference when buying a vehicle(negligible), it'd be a no brainer not to get one. Besides, there's always the S44 kit that upgrades it to 33spline shafts if that's the route ya'd wanna go. Really depends on how big and how hard it's gonna get used. For a nancy like me, 35's and the 44 and common sense on the trail has won out...............so far Wink eyebrows . All in all, if you're not looking to do an axle swap and just want a plug'n'play bolt on wheeler, a 44 rear should be more than enough for the average Joe....or 'drack Mr. Green .
Candi
Sick Puppy
Sick Puppy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I relent that my idea of the average wheeler in a TJ is Brandy, and that really isn't a fair assesment. Mr. Green
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahahaha....this is true Mr. Green . My first trip out with him entailed him fixing his draglink on Chicken so he could kinda turn the TJ.
DozerDan
What the deuce?
What the deuce?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code3TJ wrote:
But he can get more for the d44 than the d35 when he sells it after swapping it out. Wink
Personally, I'm in the midst of an 8.8 swap, but once I'm finished, I suspect I'm going to be stuck with the d35 because there just doesn't seem to be much of a market out there for a used/leaking/broken/bent d35.

My roomate sold his stock D30 and 35 for over $700 when I did the 8.8 and swapped in a geared front
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
brandy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on both points...I gotta say yes. The Tj 44 is not the best 44 out there, but the price for getting it over a 35 is no concern, however, when you wanna upgrade and decide to change your bolt pattern so you can run a decent front axel, you'll be happy to find a starved market for that tj 44. I gave mine away to a yj owner, but every time I tell someone I ditched the TJ 44 for a scout 44, they pull out their check book to make an offer.
Look for the 44, but don't let it be the end of the road for ya, and it can be a win win for ya.

Brandy
mooch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the info.
I have a d44 and ford 9 inch from one of my old broncos (1976). would these work on a tj if I cut them down?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: