Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hydro assist

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Destefano027

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: hydro assist Reply with quote

i looking to do a hydro assist on my cj i would like to do a homemade kit rather then buying a kit. has anyone done this or read an artical on it i need to no where to drill and tap the box and what size cylinder to you i am running 42 if that matters
Fourlocked

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just drilled and tapped the steering box on my '83 CJ7 as part of a total rebuild. (Dodge Magnum V8, NV4500, Dynatrac Dana 60's f&r, etc)
I got the info here:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/HydroAssistTap/index.html

A lot of people say you have to disassemble your box, but I didn't. I used Grease in the flutes of both the drill bit, and the tap to catch the shavings. In addition, I used a circular magnet around the hole as I drilled and tapped, and I used a parts retrieval magnet to reach into the hole and pull out any small particles that fell in. The magnet that I had just happened to be 7/16" in diameter, exactly the right size for the hole. I used the magnet repeatedly after drilling and after tapping, and then I flushed the openings with power steering fluid and used the magnet again. I didn't get anything on the last time, but it was good insurance.

I ordered my Hydro cylinder from here:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2007072801220189&item=9-7258-8&catname=hydraulic

I hope your project turns out....
Destefano027

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info what size calender are you running i have a full width 44 in front of mine
Fourlocked

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Hydro Assist Reply with quote

I just finished installing a pair of Dynatrac Dana 60s as part of a ground up rebuild. I am putting in a Dodge Magnum 5.9 V8, NV4500, and Lomax 4:1 gears in the Dana 300 Xfer case. Still working out where to mount the Hydro assist cylinder. I have a couple of ideas, but design is a series of compromises and every mounting place has a drawback or two.
erslll

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

West Texas Off Road is also a good source for hydo assist info.
Fourlocked

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose to go with a 1 1/2" x 8" stroke cylinder. You can use a 2" for more power, but the reaction time is longer, so turning is a little slower.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: