Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1885 CJ7_ 2 Barrel carburetor issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hollywoodrey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: 1885 CJ7_ 2 Barrel carburetor issues Reply with quote

I have a 1985 CJ7 Jeep with the 2 barrel carb on an inline 6. I made the mistake of being impatient and taking my Jeep to a complete stranger for a tune-up and behold, he screwed me GOOD! My mechanic recently passed and he was the ONLY one I felt comfortable with as far as working on it. R.I. P. Ken.

Anyway, here is the issue at hand. I have been experiencing terrible idle with my carb and although I have had several mechanics to date work on it....noone seems to have any clue and ultimately blames the age of the Jeep and claim its "the nature of the beast". They are far from the truth. It ran beautifully for 8 years prior. You would never know it was running. That's how smooth it used to run. :(

When I start her up in thge morning, she revs high for about 2 minutes 1600 rpm's) and then when I give her gas, the idle drops ((900 rpm's). Seems to idle fine but once I get on the road and she warms up, I can not seem to keep it at idle at all with out constantly giving her gas. I have personally tried adjusting the 2 screws on the side of the carb to NO AVAIL. This has been so frustrating that I am tempting to just sell it. Sad, but it's been a nightmare for me with some of these mechanics.

Can ANYBODY offer some sound advice on what it might be and what I can do to fix or adjust this issue or maybe direct me to a mechanic that loves to work on classic Jeeps?

I live in the Los Angeles, Californis area if you do.

Any suggestions I would appreciate!

Regards, Hollywood
IBTJn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check all your vacuum lines for leaks. If I'm not mistaken, the 4.2 (258ci) motor has a vacuum advance on the distributor, make sure that is good too.

Based on your description I'd be looking for a vacuum leak.

Wink
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be something as simple as the idle being set before the throttle was off the fast idle cam.

The carb should be set such that when you press the throttle to the floor once, it sets the choke and the throttle opening is controlled by the fast idle cam. This is what makes it idle at a higher rpm when it is cold. You can usually blip the the throttle and get it to come down on a lower step on the fast idle cam, but it may not come completely off the fast idle cam until it is mostly warmed up. If the idle speed was set with the normal idle speed adjuster before the throttle was off the fast idle cam, then it would idle very slowly when it did come off the FI cam.

Once the engine is warm and on the normal idle speed adjuster, you can set the mixture and give the idle speed a final adjustment.

You need to find someone who understands the carb adjustments to check it.

It may also be a vacuum leak, but I have found over my life that when my car does not run good following some work on it.........it is usually something associated with what I did and not another problem.

To check for a vacuum leak, take a can of carb cleaner WITHOUT the red tube attached and spray it around the intake and carb.......not into the carb however. If you have a vacuum leak, it will cause the engine speed to increase when the carb cleaner is sprayed into the area of th leak.

Hope some of this helps..........
Hollywoodrey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Hutchman and IBTJn.

I will look into these two areas and see what happens. You have no idea of how frustrating it's been just driving it. I got to get her back to that way she was so thanks for the imput.

Hollywood
IBTJn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hollywoodrey wrote:
Thanks Hutchman and IBTJn.

I will look into these two areas and see what happens. You have no idea of how frustrating it's been just driving it. I got to get her back to that way she was so thanks for the imput.

Hollywood

Actually I DO know how frustrating it is...especially when it's the only daily driver you have. I've had a couple of rigs over the years that very thing happened to me and it sucked! Heck, a few times it's been of my own making, too...popping a vacuum line, trying to use an old carb/manifold gasket, etc.

Good luck to ya' and let us know how it goes.

Wink
jusolbob

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your carburetor have a round cylindrical object, with a wiring harness attached, at the rear side of it. It would be about 1 1/2 inches in diameter and about 3 inches in length, pointing toward the firewall?
Bob
Hollywoodrey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jusolbob wrote:
Does your carburetor have a round cylindrical object, with a wiring harness attached, at the rear side of it. It would be about 1 1/2 inches in diameter and about 3 inches in length, pointing toward the firewall?
Bob

Yes it does!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> CJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: