Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

YJ Needs a bit more clearance

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bomb67

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: YJ Needs a bit more clearance Reply with quote

I need a bit of Pro knowledge. Im needing a bit more clearance on my 1989 JY. I have a 3.5 Suspension lift and 33's. The Axels are strong the rear is a fully locked the front is a Lock right. But i would like to get some more hight in an effective maner. Im thinking about a 2" Body lift or a SOA. Not really both Or I could do a 1" body and change up some of the suspension mounts. I hear doing a SOA opens the door for a lot more problems, but in really sick of the U bolts hanging down under the axels....A point in the right direction would be great.

Im wantin to be solid on the rubicon, fordyce, and other areas similer.

thanks for any advice
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spend the time and effort in a spring over. Body lifts cause more headaches than they are worth in my opinion. IE shifter binding, excessive body flex

With a spring over stock springs would give you plenty of clearance for 33s, add to that your 3in lift springs and you should clear 35s no problem

A slip yoke eliminator would be needed as well as getting your drive shafts to the correct length. I would get a front shaft from a dodge 2500 diesel, or similar vehicle, for your rear and find a local shop to cut it to length

Longer shocks may be needed as well

hope that helps
bomb67

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool thank for the thoughts!! Any other thoughts or tips would be very welcome!!
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it depends on how much more lift you actually want. What size tire are you aiming for? If you go SOA, you'll be netting about 6" of lift. That's a lot more than the 2" BL you mentioned. You could go with a 1" BL and get some longer shackles. But that won't keep the u-bolts from hitting the rocks, it'll only allow for some taller meats.

Another option would be to get some u-bolt skid plates.

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RA-JS14-YJ&Category_Code=LEAF

http://www.quadratec.com/products/26038_06.htm

Another option would be flipping the u-bolts.

https://catalog.foothilloffroad.com/product_info.php?products_id=139&osCsid=9b0cc06bbe1d8182973b73a6

http://www.ok4wd.com/index.php/catalog/product/rock_equipment_u_bolt_flip_kit/

Another option yet, would be getting some countersunk plates.
(These are for Ford axles, but I think you'll get the idea.)

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/deaver-spring-partial-p-323.html

There's many companies out there that sell these, I just threw up the first few sites that I came across.

bomb67

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thats a lot of options to think about thanks!!. If i flipped the U bolts would lat give me more over all lift?? Im trying to picture it and being lazy and not going upstairs and looking at the Jeep...hahaha
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, flipping the bolts won't give you any more lift. The springs would still be in the same place. How much lift are you looking to get? What size tires do you want?
bomb67

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been hitting the trails and Im getting a much better idea on what I want. Tell me what ya think...Going SOA to Clear 35s, Longer brake lines to acomidate, putting in a 4:1 Ratio In the transfer case with a SYE to make sure it stays there, Removing the track bar from the rear and killing the sway bar but leaving the front track bar for a little stability, unless the SOA makes it not work. Im needing advice on if I should keep my detroit fullly locked 4.11 geared dana 35 rear axle, or go hunt down a ford explorer 8 bolt to stick in. Also Im looking into the reverse wrap leaf spings...but I don't know much about them... What do the all knowing have to Say!!!! Thanks for all the imput!! Its fun to lay down at night a build Jeeps in you head!! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: