Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adjustable front track bar recommendations (TJ)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smentzer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Adjustable front track bar recommendations (TJ) Reply with quote

Hi all, I just installed an OME lift on my 02 TJ last weekend, and after buttoning it all up I unfortunately ran into the infamous death wobble at about 50mph or so (parked it since, so not sure if it will reappear, but that scared me enough I am not driving the thing until I do all I can.)

I am going to spend some time today re-checking all the bolts and such in the front to make sure everything is torqued down, but since I got more lift than I expected (about 3"), I am thinking an adjustable front track bar is probably my next step (and if that doesnt work, maybe adjustable lower control arms?). Besides, having the steering wheel off center that much bugs the hell out of me.

There seem to be a number of them out there, anything to stear clear of? I have heard that in general the ones with heim joints are better, but other than that I am not sure which one i should look at getting. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you had your alignment done after doing your lift? I know more about XJ's than TJ's but at least in an XJ 3" of lift wouldn't cause a "death wobble."

My friend's '99 XJ has 4.5" of lift with the stock track bar, no SYE and no TC drop kit and it doesn't wobble at all after having the alignment done. The wobble was real bad around 50-55mph until he had the alignment done.

Tim

1986 Pioneer, 1990 Laredo, 1991 Sport, 1993 Sport & 1998 Sport.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Track Bar Conversion Reply with quote

Tim Hallam wrote:
Have you had your alignment done after doing your lift? I know more about XJ's than TJ's but at least in an XJ 3" of lift wouldn't cause a "death wobble."

My friend's '99 XJ has 4.5" of lift with the stock track bar, no SYE and no TC drop kit and it doesn't wobble at all after having the alignment done. The wobble was real bad around 50-55mph until he had the alignment done.

Tim

Any amount of lift can cause death wobble. XJ's and TJ's share the same setup in the front end. When you lift the Jeep, more angle(stress) is put on the control arms, track bar, and steering components. It's always a good idea to get an alignment after lifting or changing any components in the front end. Sometimes an alignment can help cure the DW, most times it's something else.

Running 4.5" with a stock track bar is stupid! There's no way the axle is centered under the Jeep. Even if he redrilled the mounting hole on the axle end of the tb. Stock track bars only allow so much flex, at 4.5" that bar must be hurtin'. eeek

Smentzer, I would suggest going over the whole lift, retorquing everything you touched.

As for the track bar, this is what I've been running. Maybe it'll work for you?

http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=14508
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: