Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TJ Tires vs Lift

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TurtleTJ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: TJ Tires vs Lift Reply with quote

Howdy, new to this forum. Probably a worn out question, but do I REALLY need a four inch lift to fit 33x12.50's on my 01 TJ Sport? I ask because I was told I needed two inches of lift to fit my current 31's, but I drove them for a few weeks including some mild wheeling without any rubbing issues before installing a two inch spring/shock lift. Those tires are in need of replacing before winter hits. The two inch lift I have now "appears" to have plenty of room for another inch all around. I thought about adding a one inch urethane coil spacer in the front (lower on TJ's) to add room and level the Jeep out. The rear has more room than the front already and no steering issues.
I live in way northern California, snow country. I use the Jeep on backroads and logging roads i.e. dirt, mud, and snow. I don't plan on any rockcrawling or maxing out the suspension (until I can afford a good one), just want to get around on bad roads. I'd appreciate any info or opinions you care to offer. Thanks, Happy Wheelin'
zjtherightway

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will fit.
If you haven't done so yet you may want to think about longer shocks and sway bar disconnects. The discos arent necessary but if you ever needed more suspension travel up front they are where you start.
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TurtleTJ... Just curious where you are in CA. I'm way up north too. I'm in Mt. Shasta.

1986 Pioneer, 1990 Laredo, 1991 Sport, 1993 Sport & 1998 Sport.
TurtleTJ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Sway bar disconnets are on the "Master List" of parts to buy. A stock Jeep is just a starter kit, sooooooo many parts so little money! I had thought about longer shocks, the two inch lift came with them, so I figured adding one inch coil spacers wasn't adding too much. I did wonder about the steering geometry, though. With the spacer it will be a total of +3" in the front w/o any changes from stock components. Dropped pitman arm, maybe?
T. Hallam, I am just down the road in Fall River Mills. Have been up her for 6 years now (from San Diego). Love the area, its the forgotten corner of California. I was looking at those tire options (your thread) too. Liked the looks of the MT/R kevlars but they're pricy. Am now looking at the Goodyear Duratracs, think they might be better on icy pavement than a full-on mud tire.
I have been saving towards this upgrade while wearing out my 31's, new 4.56 gears and Detroit TrueTracs F+R are part of the current deal! I want to build from the bottom up. Was worried about lockers on the icy winter roads. I will add a picture when its done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: