Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1991 Wrangler won't crank

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coachbarnes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: 1991 Wrangler won't crank Reply with quote

Anyone have any idea's. I had to get a jump earlier (left lights on). I got a jump and it ran fine. I drove home the long way to get the battery charged back up. Later that afternoon it would not crank. Lights and wipers work fine, plenty of power. I figured it was starter so I replaced the starter. Still won't crank, it just makes a single click sound and nothing else. It will roll start and run.
savasa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings,
Keep the old starter as a spare and make sure all your connections (battery, ground and starter) are clean and tight.
Peter.
IBTJn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Wrangler won't crank Reply with quote

Coachbarnes wrote:
Anyone have any idea's. I had to get a jump earlier (left lights on). I got a jump and it ran fine. I drove home the long way to get the battery charged back up. Later that afternoon it would not crank. Lights and wipers work fine, plenty of power. I figured it was starter so I replaced the starter. Still won't crank, it just makes a single click sound and nothing else. It will roll start and run.

I'd replace the battery. Just because it'll run accessory items doesn't mean it'll have the amps available to turn the starter. The difference in amp draw is significant. Also, check your ground connection from the battery to the block and chassis. Grease & grime can impair the electrical circuit. If you aren't sure if your battery is good or not, simply take it to most any auto parts store and they'll put a load tester on it. One bad cell in it will drain the others (eventually) and exhibit inability to turn the starter.

Good luck.

Wink
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your battery!
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m with the other two, replace your battery.
For some reason after you drain a newer battery, they will not give the full amperage it once did, even after being fully charged overnight, it also doesn’t seem to matter how old the battery is.

My wife performed the same thing you did a couple months ago, and my battery was only 8 months old. I hooked up the charger overnight and it took a full charge fine, but it would not crank the engine, and like you, everything else worked fine.

I took it to Auto Zone and they checked it, as soon as they hooked it up and put a load on it, the guy turned around and gave me its replacement for free.

IBTJn is correct, there is a big difference starting your engine and just running your accessories.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: