Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gauging interest for a VW TDI Jeep swap kit...

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you be interested in swapping a TDI into your Jeep?
Yes, definitely!
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Yes, but only if it's a bolt-in affair.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
No thanks, I'm happy with what I've got.
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 5

XJ92TDI

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Gauging interest for a VW TDI Jeep swap kit... Reply with quote

Hey everyone...(obviously) I'm new here, but I'm just trying to gauge interest in parts to swap a VW TDI into a jeep. I've got a 92 XJ (hence the name) that I will be using to prototype the initial transmission adapter and motor mounts, but would like feedback from other jeepers as to what they are looking for. Obviously, it's a long list for a swap like this, so right now, I'd just like to get an idea of how many people would be interested, and for which models of Jeeps, which transmissions and the engines they would be replacing. I will also be posting on some other sites as well, so if you respond here, please don't respond to the others as well, I'd like to get an honest idea. I figure, there's nothing better than 4 wheeling, except being able to 'wheel more often because you are spending half as much money on fuel!

Thanks,
Sean
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a Jeep right now.....well that's a lie, but I plan to sell it. Anyway, I think the right diesel in a Jeep would be a heck of a good idea. I looked into it a little a couple of years ago, but did not come to any conclusions as to which diesel would work the best.

If the VW diesel puts out adequate torque at the right rpm, it should be a great choice. There ought a good supply of them available.
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be an interesting transplant, never heard of that combo….

I test drove a TDI a couple years ago and it does get it, I can't remember Torque numbers, but the HP was surprisingly low, around 150, (if memory serves) but it was pretty quick, I remember the turbo coming on smooth, plus it got 40 MPG! But, I doubt you’ll get that MPG with any jeep body, but it will improve a lot.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
IBTJn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be curious to know, why a VW diesel? Is this a European thing? Perhaps I don't spend enough time on some of the other forums or something?

I have seen/heard of guys dropping in Cummins 4 cylinder diesels in their Jeeps before with great success. And after owning the Cummins 6 cyl diesel in my trucks, I can see why. Unlike Hutch (and likely others) I've never been a fan of VW products. And unless I heard of some fantastic diesel motor they were producing that has power out the yang yang along with reliability (like the Cummins), I'd never consider one. Cummins makes motors, that's all they do.

Just my arrogant US pessimistic view. Wink
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd poked around for info a few years ago - IIRC, the TDI is smaller and lighter. And if you have to deal with the inane Klownifornia smog laws, it's slightly easier to get it approved.
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are several reasons for VW diesel, but the big one in my opinion would be light weight. A 4bt weighs 750 lbs and would be a much more involved swap to make it right. Suspension etc........

If I was going to buy one for engine simplicity and long life, it would be the Cummins every time!

I have owned both a new and old VW diesels, and a 12 valve and 24 valve Cummins. I think each is unbeatable in it's own world.
XJ92TDI

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I want the VW is for the price, availability, and weight. VW has made probably in the millions of diesel cars both here and worldwide, and are one of the only small diesel makers in the US. Just for comparison, a 2004 Passat TDI is 134hp and 247ft-lb at 1900rpm I believe. A chip alone can push the TQ to over 300, and the 4.0HO is only making 225ft-lb stock, at 4000rpm. I don't know about you, but my jeep never sees that much RPM, even on the highway. And I do know people who have gotten 50+mpg in 1.9TDI's, of course it's not a 4x4 Jeep. But for comparisons sake, the 2004 Passat is about 3300lbs, which is about what my XJ weighs, and TDI forums have people getting 40-45mpg with them. I figure if I got 34mpg, that would be double what it gets now...Who would complain about a big increase in TQ and mileage?
XJpete

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the swap can be done with my manual trans, I will do it tomorow.

My friend got a 2.0 tdi in his 4x4 golf, with a tuning chips, and i can tell you the cars really got power... and torque, he use to pull boats with it .
XJ92TDI

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, right now I'm in a tight spot with money, but I'm working with a couple other people to draft up the mounts, and working on getting a bellhousing adapter CNC'd. The only big problems I've found (so far) for physically putting the engine in the Jeep, is the flywheel/flexplate/clutch/torque converter. I haven't been able to find exact specs on what size the Jeep flexplate/flywheel is compared to the VW. Worst case scenario, I'll have to make an adapter plate to bolt to the torque converter to adapt to the VW flexplate. Clutches will be a more interesting scenario, because it will require a custom disk. That in itself isn't a big deal though, just a matter of contacting a clutch maker and getting the right diameter and spline count disc to fit the VW clutch plate and flywheel. I'll try to keep updated as something develops.
XJpete

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much

We have a bunch of Vw's in junkyard with diesel engines... easy for Euro people to do the swap....

Cheers
XJ92TDI

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now see, that's not fair...Over here, it's almost as if Americans are afraid of diesels, thinking of big noisy trucks. I can find the VW 1.9s, and even an occasional 2.0 PD, but through my research, VW had a bunch of different diesels they used across the pond, including some they put in vans that would be perfect, but of course never sold here.
XJ92TDI

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I've been working on acquiring some of the parts needed, and working with my partner in this project, we decided we want to get some input from the other people who are interested, because they may not be as insane as we are. So, let's get some feedback! For those of you who are interested in this conversion, what are you looking for EXACTLY? What model, engine, trans would you want it for?
100% inclusive, including engine?
Complete swap kit without engine?
Just the basics (engine mounts, trans adapter) and you figure out everything else?
Wiring harness included, or just a schematic to wire it yourself?
Complete fuel system, or just instructions?
Would you want a complete intercooler, or figure that out yourself?
What would you be willing to pay for a complete kit sans engine?
What would you be willing to pay for the basic hard parts and instructions for the rest?
What would you be willing to pay for just the components you want?
I know everyone would want to say "I want it free" but let's try to be realistic. Find a TDI in a pull it yourself junkyard and you can get the complete engine for probably well under $1000, so figure on what else you would want.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this thread was about a guy swapping a diesel engine into an XJ? Now it seems to be some kind of Vendor thread.
XJ92TDI

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a vendor thread, as I'm no vendor, I'm just one guy, with a buddy, trying to make this work, and if it does, seeing what outside interest there would be to turn our hard work and effort into something to benefit other people's rigs and possibly give us a little spending money at the same time. And as such, I'm trying to see what people want, if they are interested. But if you're not interested, you aren't required to post. Very Happy
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess if I was going to do one of these, I would want to buy ready made mounts for anything that needs to fit.......including alternator, AC, etc. As far as the fuel system or any wiring changes, I think instructions would be fine. In addition, to make this complete, a list of stuff that the installer would have to buy to finish the installation.

If I was developing the kit, I would build the hard stuff and provide info on the materials needed to finish. You might even include detailed step by step for the install.

You could also have staged type kit........more stuff for the beginners and maybe mounts only for the experienced types.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: