Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A little help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NewJeepGuy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: A little help Reply with quote

So as you can see by my name I am new to the Jeep world but not new to the vehicle based community & forums as my summer daily driver is 2001 Miata which also has a close knit helpful community. The Jeep will be my winter and my sons daily driver. The reason for my post is for a litle help. We picked up a 99 TJ 2 weeks ago and love it.It seems to be running great and has been well maintained but I have run into a problem Crying or Very sad . I found part of the answer here but still need some clarification.

The issue is the heater fan, and the what seems to be common problem of high speed only. I was kind of putting it off until after Xmas but today it stopped working altogether. So first stop the internet. Pretty much unanimous "fan resistor" so went and ordered it will be in first thing in the morning. Where I need help and can not seems to find the answer is now that it is not working at all has something else broken because it was left and used with only high speed. I have read about a relay that the high speed is connected to ? Is this the small 1"x1" black relay that is on the right side just below the glove box ? and I have also read

Will548 wrote:
Been there. You need to go to your local electrical supply house and buy a new thermo resistor. I paid less than $2.00. Clip out the old one and solder in the new one. Be sure to have it facing the correct direction.
DO NOT test it outside of the air box. It will burn up in a second, again been there.
Bets of luck.

Thermo resister? So I'm a little confused what caused it to stop altogether and will just changing the fan resistor fix it ?

Last edited by NewJeepGuy on Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:59 pm; edited 3 times in total
kaos

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your original problem, with the lower speeds not working, was almost certainly the fan resistor (this is the same "thermo resister" mentioned in the post you quote). Unfortunately, it seems you are having a second problem with the fan not blowing at all. If there is a relay (I'm not familiar enough with the TJ electrical system to tell you whether there is), that might indeed be the culprit. Other possibilities are the fan motor (not likely) and fan speed switch (may be most likely if there is no relay in the circuit).

--
Regards,
Kári.
NewJeepGuy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I forgot to ask should the fan work on high even with the resistor out ?
kaos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure. The resistor is not an active part of the circuit on high speed, but it might be used as an interconnection. How many wires are there going to it? If there are more than four (assuming there are four fan speeds) it is being used as an interconnection.

--
Regards,
Kári.
NewJeepGuy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well went out this morning and changed the resistor and every thing was working fine, about half an hour later jump in the jeep to go to store no fan agian DAMN Evil or Very Mad !!! SO I knew the resistor was new, the switch was working and I can hear the relay clicking when I put the power on. Next step check the motor. BINGO !! The P/O had spliced in some new wires from the motor to the harness and 1 of the connections was lose, Rolling Eyes tightened it up sprayed a little contact cleaner on the connection at the motor and the spiced first and everything working again. Very Happy I think I willl pull the motor out over the holidays and maybe even rewire evrything if I can use my bubby's garage
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: