Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

8.8 swap questions?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shaggyyj

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: 8.8 swap questions? Reply with quote

been looking for an 8.8 out of a 95 or newer ford explorer to swap my stock d35. idk squat about gear ratio but have read in the forums i need 4.10 but the only ones ive found so far are said to be 3.75....this will not work correct? are the 4.10s harder to find? any info would be very helpful.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want the gear ratio to match whatever you have in the front axle or the weak link in your drivetrain will break when you put it into 4wd. The lower gear ratio is more desirable which is probably why you're having trouble finding one.
IBTJn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code3TJ wrote:
You want the gear ratio to match whatever you have in the front axle or the weak link in your drivetrain will break when you put it into 4wd. The lower gear ratio is more desirable which is probably why you're having trouble finding one.

X~2. The real key is just to match what you already have (unless a gear change is planned). What do you have up front?
shaggyyj

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so far that has been the problem, figuring what gears i have. cant find a tag, not wanting to crack open the diff. have been told to jack it up and turn the drive shaft to count the rotation of the tire, but the tires spin opposite and throw off the count (i guess) need to get back out there and try again with only one tire in the air. it was only in the teens temp wise here in illinois last i tried but getting back to the 40s now Very Happy
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have an auto or manual?
shaggyyj

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manual trans.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: