Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the best way to correct steering issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: What's the best way to correct steering issues Reply with quote

So my TJ isn't my daily driver anymore, and when I do drive it I realized that I can't stand the looseness of my steering. What's the best way to correct all that play that you get when you lift your TJ?

My Morning Jacket
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start by replacing the steering box if it's original and has any play in it, the TJ boxes are known to not last long with bigger tires. You can upgrade to a Durango box for cheap or get all fancy and spend a couple hundred. Then work your way out to the wheels starting at the pitman arm, checking for play or looseness at every joint. How's the steering stabilizer?
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just changed out the gear box about 6 months ago. I'm thinking of replacing the drag link and tie rod with the Currie System, hope that will restore the steering to more of a factory setting. When I drove my jeep everyday, I didn't mind it. But now that I drive it everyonce in a while I hate taking it on the highways.

My Morning Jacket
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're heading in the right direction. I was gonna ask if you had the factory steering linkage. I think an upgrade will help a lot. It might not get it totally tight, but it will get you one step closer. Mr. Green What size tires and lift do you have?
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 4 banger with the 2.5" OME lift, which netted me about 3" plus a 1" body lift. The springs have started to sag so I'm probably closer to 3.5" - 3" with 33 x 12.50 Goodyear MTR's which are on their last few 1000 miles. I can live with some play, but I want to get it as close to factory as possible. I've heard about a nut on the steering gearbox that you can adjust which will tighten the steering some. I just didn't want to waste $400 on a new drag link and tie rod and not see some results.
Are there other kits out there that will do the same as the Currie, just not as expensive?

My Morning Jacket
quadna71

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you been under the jeep watching while someone traveled the steering wheel back and forth? you could have bad TRE's, ball joints, trackbar ends, or even the rag joint in your steering shaft coming down from the steering column. no point in throwing new parts at perfectly good parts, right? that's how i see it anyways.

i do agree that the currie steering system is a great kit. requires zero mods to accept it and the design is proven since it mimics OEM.

you also asked for the best way to correct all the looseness in the steering wheel or play that you get when you lift your tj. have you looked into the problem being something more along the lines of your alignment? without adjustable arms or at the very least cam bolts you'll never have your caster set correctly after the lift and that can induce some noticeable wandering on the road. just food for thought...
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I planned on replacing everything that I can to fix the steering on the jeep.
I'm sure that once I get new tires and get it realigned that will help too. I've always wanted to upgrade the tie rods and the Currie system has always looked to be a decent choice.

My Morning Jacket
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: