Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for better on road handling

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TierAngst

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Looking for better on road handling Reply with quote

I'm not an off roader by any means, just wanted a fun DD that can get through winter snow. I've been pouring through old articles on a million different things to do with suspension and it seems like most people would rather lift their jeep 4" and have a great time mudding than anything else.

Right now I've got monroe sensa-trac shocks and rubicon springs and the ride is rather bumpy and jarring. Basically I'm looking for stock to maybe two inch max (only running 29.5" tires) lift that will give me the best handling and smoothest ride on the road. I've seen different options too as far as the kits go for HD and LD, I've got a 99 TJ with a 6.0 LQ9, 4L60E, 8.8 rear, and hard top so I'm not sure how that is affecting things.

If anyone can help me in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it!
IBTJn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for better on road handling Reply with quote

TierAngst wrote:
I'm not an off roader by any means, just wanted a fun DD that can get through winter snow. I've been pouring through old articles on a million different things to do with suspension and it seems like most people would rather lift their jeep 4" and have a great time mudding than anything else.

Right now I've got monroe sensa-trac shocks and rubicon springs and the ride is rather bumpy and jarring. Basically I'm looking for stock to maybe two inch max (only running 29.5" tires) lift that will give me the best handling and smoothest ride on the road. I've seen different options too as far as the kits go for HD and LD, I've got a 99 TJ with a 6.0 LQ9, 4L60E, 8.8 rear, and hard top so I'm not sure how that is affecting things.

I'd probably consider checking into the Old Man Emu shocks...and maybe even their complete 2" lift. I can tell you first hand their shocks really improved the handling and ride quality of my TJ. And I'm running an RE 4.5" short arm lift. Actually, it rides better than it did stock in my opinion. I'd also consider running at least 31's rather than 29's. That'll help in most snow conditions as well...especially center siped.

Oh, and for what it's worth I don't care much for mud. My rig will do well in it, but I'd rather to trails and rocks any day. Mud is too much of a pain to clean up and to me requires more skinny pedal than I prefer. A good crawl I enjoy, speeding through the mud so I can see it fly never did much for me. And I know lots of guys with lifted rigs exactly the same way. We lift them for clearance and articulation along with larger tires for the obstacles.

Wink
TierAngst

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run dedicated summer and winter tires but it's damn hard to find anything but A/Ts in that size diameter for a 15" rim.
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for better on road handling Reply with quote

TierAngst wrote:

I smell a troll........
TierAngst

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for better on road handling Reply with quote

hutchman wrote:
I smell a troll........

In what way shape or form does my message make you smell a troll? I have a clear and concise question in which I'm trying to obtain an answer to.
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for better on road handling Reply with quote

TierAngst wrote:
hutchman wrote:
I smell a troll........

In what way shape or form does my message make you smell a troll? I have a clear and concise question in which I'm trying to obtain an answer to.

The specs you quote for your Jeep certainly sound trollish.........if not, I apologize but there aren't many stock suspension Jeeps with a 6 liter, 4L60E, and an 8.8. That just doesn't add up.
TierAngst

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There aren't many is right, that's why I'm posing a serious question here about it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: