Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TF904 Hard Shift From 1st to 2nd

View previous topic :: View next topic  
originalevil

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: TF904 Hard Shift From 1st to 2nd Reply with quote

Hi guys! This is my very first post (but I've read threads, here and there, over the years).

I have a 95 YJ, 2.5L with the TF904, factory gears (3.7x) and 31x10.5x15 tires.

I also have a nasty exhaust manifold leak that I'm taking care of next weekend with a new manifold.

I'm also saving up pennies in case I have to replace the transmission.

The tranny only wants to shift from 1st to 2nd when I'm going at slow speeds or when I back off the gas. It shifts from 2nd to 3rd normally.

I replaced the TPS a few months ago but it didn't change anything... then I got sidetracked with things like a blown head gasket, which included replacing the water pump and radiator, then replacing some bald tires. Most recently, O2 sensor, distributor, plugs, wires, rotor button. Always something!

Anyway, how likely is it that the transmission is shot or is it likely something else that has worn out, maybe affecting the shift point?
originalevil

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update -

I eventually replaced the tranny. It was worn out. Also, the rear axle had to be rebuilt. I put the new manifold on, replaced the water pump and radiator again (don't buy parts of eBay, boys!) and the pulley for the AC. I put on new brake pads and replaced the tires again. Between the end of December 2011 and the beginning of February 2012, I spent just over $3500 on this puppy and it was running like a top.... until I was on the interstate one night and the seal blew on the oil sending unit. When you're doing 75 mph and driving on a dark stretch of road and you suddenly hear "clunk" and lose all your power, it hurts your feelings. I gave the Jeep to my mechanic, since he'd busted as many knuckles on it as I had.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: