Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jeep Shakes When Braking

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wendi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Jeep Shakes When Braking Reply with quote

Hello, About 6 months ago we changed the rear brakes on my 04 jeep liberty. Since then every time i brake the entire jeep shakes. This has got increasingly worse and before the snow comes we need to fix this, but do not know what exactly may be the issue. Please help
IBTJn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of your stopping power is done on the front. What kind of condition are they in? Especially the rotors?
wendi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front are overworked and heat up and warp. Need the back to work to take some of the work load off the front. The front rotors need to be turned to be evened out.

I never had a problem before until we changed the rear brakes.
Wamba

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have all of your ABS sensors checked. Make sure they aren't throwing codes. Mine has been having the same issue, and it's still undetermined as to why. But the ABS sensors were replaced when I thought they were the cause.
techRobo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the front End!!!!!!!! Not Bad Drums!!!!!! not bad Brakes!!!!! Its definitly in the rear end because when i jack it up and test it it only happens in the rear, also when i jack up the rear the passenger side brakes first and then the drivers side, i am wondering if its in the the pumpkin? any thoughts ?
FARMER

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the proportioning valve that keeps the amount of pressure to each caliper at the proper operating pressure needs to be rebalanced. I don't know how it is set up in the Liberty, but in some other vehicles when the caliper is manually depressed to make room for new pads it throws the valve out of adjustment. On most vehicles there is a bleeder valve on the proportioning valve to balance the four brake line pressures, otherwise you get one caliper that locks up before the rest, and the ABS will release that brake making the vehicle shudder due to the inconsistant braking pressure on the pads.
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not sure about any other vehicle, but my TJ has a rear and a front there isn't an adjustment for all 4 wheels.

However I know for a fact if a brake line is bent or crushed it will return fluid slower and keep one brake caliper depressed longer until the fluid returns back to the sump. Of course if you continue to brake during the fuild return the caliper or drum will keep constant pressure when it needs to return it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: