Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oil Pressure Gauge Issue... and Gas Gauge too...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
woodsytc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject: Oil Pressure Gauge Issue... and Gas Gauge too... Reply with quote

I have a 1998 Jeep Wrangler TJ with the 4 cylinder engine and 75k miles. i have owned it for half a year and it's my first jeep.

the oil gauge in the dashboard usually hangs around 20~30 during idling and rolls up to 40~45 while driving. recently it has been occasionally dropping down below 20 and looks on its way down to 0. there is enough fresh oil in it, the operating temp of the engine is usually below 200 (according to the dash gauge, and the radiator is full and fresh) and seems to be normal. it makes me awful nervous to think oil pressure is dropped or gone, but i cant be sure...

any ideas?? could it be something simple like a pressure sensor unit or something uglier Rolling Eyes ?

and a second thing...

my gas gauge now tells me it's near empty and the little beeper/light goes on and i can only get 10 gallons of gas into it. is there a easy fix for this? Neutral Confused (i imagine this is not an uncommon problem)

thanks for any help you can offer.

-woodsy
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The early TJ gas gauges (not sure if newer ones are any better) are terrible. You seem to be lucky - mine shows that there's still fuel in the tank when there isn't any. There was a TSB (or maybe it was a recall - too long ago to remember) about the fuel gauge sending unit. I had mine replaced, but it only stayed fixed for about 6 months. Wink
As for your oil pressure, the minimum at idle (600 RPM's) is 13 PSI and normal is 37-75 PSI at 1600 RPM or more. According to the FSM, if the PCM
indicates that oil pressure is low, the instrument cluster circuitry moves the gauge needle to below the zero graduation on the gauge face, turns on the Check Gauges lamp, and generates a single chime tone.
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil pressure sending unit! I've had to replace mine and will need to replace it again. It's a cheap crappy little fix. I don't know how I've gone through 2 of them, but I have. I went through the same thing that you did. Also, I'm not sure if this is present in 98's but if the dash board dies while you are driving and your airbag lights and other lights come on, just bang on top of the dash. It's a bad connection and this get's it started again. Somewhere there is a writeup to fix it, but I'm too lazy to fix that problem.

My Morning Jacket
JaySea

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's definitely the oil pressure sending unit, very simple fix
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone post a picture of the oil sending unit for a 2.5l TJ, I'm having problems describing it to the guys on the phone and I can't really take it out yet. This thread got me thinking that I need to replace it.

My Morning Jacket
JaySea

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since its pouring out, no pic Razz but i can describe it, when you open your hood it will be on the left side of the engine, sorta above the oil filter....it looks like a small upside down oil filter actually, black with a silver ring on the bottom with a couple of wires coming out the top of it

hope that helps
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I thought it was too, but the people at all the autozones were describing something different. When I replaced it the first time I don't remember paying over $20, now everyone wants $25-54 for it. I told them they were crazy.

My Morning Jacket
woodsytc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your help. everything is still working the way i described in the original post. ...but no real big problems. i'll replace the oil sensor.

any guesses on why the gas tank is hard to fill all the way up? i can only get +/-10 gallons in it when the pump shuts off and i can trickle in 2~3 more gallons if i have the time. (irritating)

thanks
-woodsy
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea about that last one

My Morning Jacket
reddogmo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
reddog here, hey I own a 1998 tj it has 95,000 miles .oil pressure will
drop to 0 at idle or may be 20 or 30. never the same twice. Is this a sending unit or oil pump replace time? do not have owners manual
is pump replac a chore are simple?

reddogmo Sad
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodsytc wrote:
any guesses on why the gas tank is hard to fill all the way up? i can only get +/-10 gallons in it when the pump shuts off and i can trickle in 2~3 more gallons if i have the time. (irritating)

Don't put the nozzle all the way in and don't open the nozzle all the way. That's the only thing that I've found. I think the short distance between fill hole and tank throws off the pump nozzle when it's opened all the way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: