Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chiltons CD-ROM

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:08 am    Post subject: Chiltons CD-ROM Reply with quote

Not sure if it's something new or if I've been living in a cave for too long, but I bought the Chiltons Total Car Care CD-ROM today. I bought the Ford truck & SUV edition since I can use it for my truck, but needed some torque specs for my 8.8 axle. While I was there, I saw they have a Jeep version that covers:
Jeep Trucks and SUVs 1945-1998 - Cherokee, Grand Cherokee (1992-1998), Comanche, Wagoneer and Grand Wagonner (1993 only), Jeepster, Commando, J-100, J-200, J-300, J-10, J-20, Panel Delivery, FC-150, and FC-170 Also Included: CJ-2A, CJ-3A, CJ-3B,CJ-5, CJ-6, CJ-7, Scrambler, Wrangler and YJ from 1945-95. (Does not cover the full-size Jeep Grand Wagoneer from 1985-1991.)
I guess a 1997 TJ is too recent for them to have any info yet. Rolling Eyes
Anyway, it's pretty slick. It's not quite as detailed as an FSM, but it offers the ability to print out specific pages/photos/etc without having to drag your book under your heap and get it all dirty.
The only thing wasn't real thrilled about - the package list all of the models it covers. It doesn't say a thing about only being able to use it for one particular model. On the jewel case, it says "Purchase price of CD allows access to one vehicle." So much for saving money. I haven't tried installing it on a second computer to see if it'll allow work, but it certainly wouldn't let me access more than one on the initial computer.
All in all, not bad for ~$24.
Nothing to see here.
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, like you said though, Chiltons is nowhere near as detailed as an FSM is...but when you consider that DC charges over 3 times that price for an FSM on CD-ROM, it's not a bad deal.
As far as dragging the book under the heep and getting it all dirty, you should see my FSM's...I think the dirt gives them character. Finger

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just hit the old print button on your digital copy and use whatever pages you need under your rig?
1600+ Write-ups, and more
My Writeups | My Heap
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Projects & Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: