Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brake Draggin

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nikon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Brake Draggin Reply with quote

Hey guys, and ladies, it's been a while.

I gots another problem. My pass side front brake is draggin. What am I looking at for fixing? I am gonna make some calls around tomorrow but I need to be prepared for what I am gonna hear.

When it comes to brake work, do I need to replace all? Front only? I am looking for cheapest, safe way out.

Thanks.
FM2CDJC Member #10

9. Thou shalt not kill. Unless some motherf****r is coming into your house to take your s**t! - The Nuge
newzj97jeeper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a simular problem. But I know one of the front axles shafts may be bent. Hit a curb doing about 40 MPH while trying to spit out the window. it was a bad day at best. but now I get an off and on squeling as the axle goes around. Ill fix it eventually, prob when the true trac goes in
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where the hell ya been? Finger rofl

Another possibility, is mud. If you have been mudding it enough to get the stuff on or into the brakes, then it can happen. What happens is that enough mud can get past the dust seal and get to the piston and bind it up.

Ive had to deal with this a couple times on my TJ. You have to pull the calipers off and clean them as best you can. GEt new dust seals and remove the old ones so that you can clean around the piston real well. The dust seals have a tendency to self detruct when mud packs into them.

Unscrew the break resivour cap and let it sit on the top to keep fluid from geysering out all over the place. After cleaning around the piston, use a 8" c-clamp and slowly push the piston back into the caliper. Then install the new dust seal and put it all back together. As long as you didnt open the bleeders or lines, you shouldnt have to bleed anything. Just tighten the resivour cap back down, fire the engine and pump the brake pedal untill the pistons sets again.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
nikon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I've been really busy. I had a kid and have been spending a lot of time with my guns lately. I just got an ISP after over a year too so I can only check on so much stuff online at work. The jeep has been a thorn in my side lately. Drivers side floor, well, I can see the ground now. Need a new exhaust, had a bunch of engine work done by a bad garage and still having problems after over a grand spent.

I checked on it tonight - finally stopped raining where I could stand to be outside. Almost 100% sure that's it the pads and rotors and I think that I can get em done, doing it myself, for about 100 - thanks to phantum's writeup in the tech section.

Also, been busy cause I am looking to move to NH this summer. Right around Conc so you will have to show me some wheelin spots. Haven't been out in a while, although when I was shooting this weekend - was basically wheelin to get in there Mr. Green

If I can swing getting wifey a car then I may either try to sell the heep, keep it for wheelin only, or work on making my Xterra my DD and wheelin truck. We'll see.

I've missed being here and I will make an effort to hang around a bit. No more Vampire thread?
FM2CDJC Member #10

9. Thou shalt not kill. Unless some motherf****r is coming into your house to take your s**t! - The Nuge
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikon wrote:
I had a kid

Congrats!

nikon wrote:
No more Vampire thread?

We thought you gave up on us so it went to the vault. Wink
nikon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code3TJ wrote:
nikon wrote:
I had a kid

Congrats!

nikon wrote:
No more Vampire thread?

We thought you gave up on us so it went to the vault. Wink

Ask and ye shall receive....

7 months.

I don't give up on anything (other than maybe the heep but I haven't given up on that just yet either)... Maybe we need to start a new one.
FM2CDJC Member #10

nikon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok - i can't do just one...

and my favorite...

FM2CDJC Member #10

kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhahaha, I love that picture. Looks a little pissed, but that picture rocks just the same.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: