Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New member introduction, wheel q's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrankieR12

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: New member introduction, wheel q's Reply with quote

Hi all,

As of a week ago, I'm the proud owner of a new-to-me '00 Wrangler. Woo-hoo!

I've been riding motorcycles off-road for a couple of years, but I've never gotten dirty in a cage. I got the jeep to keep warm during the winter, as well as haul stuff around, but I want to try 4x4 off-roading too.

The jeep is bone-stock as far as I can tell, except for a 3" Black Diamond lift kit that the PO installed. Personally I think he did it just to look kewl - he said he didn't offroad and the jeep was spotless.

I'm kinda worried about the wheels, though - my instinct tells me that the OEM ones might be just fine for the street but not really up to off-road duty. I tried googling for suggestions but I ended up with more questions than answers... So what's better? Aluminum, alloy or steel? Cast or forged? The list goes on, and I feel like I'm going in circles (no pun intended). Any suggestions and comments more than welcome

Also, are there any type of standards for aftermarket wheels? Somehow I'm not sure el-cheapo wheels from Taiwan are tested to the same rigorous standards as others... but is there any way to know for sure? I'm a strong believer in 'buy well, buy once', but it's not like I have an unlimited budget, either.

And, short of installing wheel-locks, are there any kinds of wheels that deal with lower pressure better?

Thanks - and sorry if these are the typical unanswerable questions like 'what oil? what air filter?' yadda yadda yadda.

Cheers and thanks,
FrankieR12

PS I posted this pretty much verbatim on another forum too... cutting and pasting 'cuz I'm lazy Very Happy
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people run various aftermarket wheels with various backspacing. Some pictures of your current setup would be nice so that we know what you are working with.
I run probably the most common wheels, which are the black "D" window wheels. The wheels are made out of steel which are very heavy compared to the aluminun alloy wheels, the side effect is that my wheels were only $40 compared to the much more expensive wheel. With out running bead locks, I never air down past 12 psi, I've seen people run lower with the tire comming off the rim for some and not for others. The best thing to do is look in our photo gallery section and find some rims that you like, then ask that person questions about their rims and rig.

Also, welcome to the board

My Morning Jacket
IBTJn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board! Very Happy Congrats' on your purchase. No doubt alot of fun, too. And I understand all the questions. You'll likely have many more soon. No problem...lots of knowledgable people here who can help (excluding me). Embarassed

I agree. More info' on your TJ would be quite helpful to see what you have to start with. And I'd say which wheels you choose may depend much on the level of wheelin' you intend on doing. Example: simple mudding your OEM's may be just fine. Rock crawling on the other hand, probably they'd get all chewed up and look crappy in short order.

I run black steelies myself. They are inexpensive and fairly durable. I also air down to no less than about 12psi on the rear, 15psi on the fronts. But I'm running 33's. I'd not consider a bead lock for mine...at least yet. Primarily because I've set mine up (mostly) for simple trail runnin'...some rocks, mud, and easy to drive on the street.

Wink
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just take it out and wheel it. Your Jeep will surely tell you what you need after a few runs. Im running the cheap blackies because everybody else is too. NO just kidding they are cheap and I know over time they will get dented and scratched. 38bux later and I'll have a new wheel.
Panzer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kizer-$38??? I'm running super expensive ones and its not smart cuz I love to get dirty but I'm constantly thinking about scratching the rims...where did you find wheels like that?
35's
"wine is fine but whiskey's quicker"
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check www.summitracing.com for Cragar or US Wheel steel wheels. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: