Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ceramic Coatings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Ceramic Coatings Reply with quote

In the very near future, I'll be replacing my cracked exhaust manifold. I've been reading up on ceramic coatings. I understand it will keep heat inside the header and reduce it in the engine compartment, but the one thing I haven't been able to find, is there any other benefit to using it on stainless steel?
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same benefit applies. Ceramics are used primarily to help keep heat down in the engine compartment. Its amazing how that thin(@2-4mil) of coating can do what it does, but it does what it says it will do. Ceramic coating has been proven in the performance feilds for many years and been used by the aerospace industries almost since there beginning.

Another feature and reason to use on stainless. Have you seen where the stainless "blues" alot which isnt to bad to look at, but worse have you seen what happens to a stainless header that was not washed well by the installer before running the engine. Oils from the skin etch the stainless, so that finger and palm prints blue themselves into the finish forever. It looks like hell.

The other benefit of ceramic that you hit on. Applied to stainless or regular steel, the more heat you keep inside the header the better it scavanges the exhaust. You dont gain any HP this way, but you sure get to keep a bunch that gets wasted with uncoated pipes.

As a side note for anyone concidering the glass wrap type stuff on your header, dont do it. That stuff should only be used where there is alot of incoming cool air that can pull some of the heat away from the wrapped headers. In a tight engine compartment on a slow moving vehicle like a Jeep, the wraps will hold enough heat inside that the headers melt inside the wrap.....its been done many times.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was amazed by some of the uses for ceramic coating when I was reading up on it. I'd never thought of using it on internal engine parts.
For anybody interested, here's an interesting article I found. I also read the same thing about the wraps - it'll destroy the headers. When NASCAR was using them, they'd replace the headers after each race.
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a spacecraft being built that's intended to fly to Mercury. It's got a 1/2" or 1/4" 3M ceramic material on the outside of the craft's side that'll be facing the sun. Pretty badass shit considering that at that proximity to the sun (Earth distance vs Mercury's distance), it's equivalent to 11 suns shining all at one time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: