Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Warn TJ steering box skid

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: Warn TJ steering box skid Reply with quote

I bought mine from 4wd.com for around $38 (it's usually a little more but I had a discount.) It attaches at 3 points, using a bolt that mounts the steering gear, one of the lower bolts attaching the bumper and a third hole that you drill into the underside of the bumper. It should take only about 20 minutes to mount, but I ran into trouble and couldn't get the bumper bolt removed. I ended up having to break out the torch and heat up the bolt to remove it (be careful if you end upgoing this route - I'm not responsible for Jeep flambe.)

Front of skid

back of skid

Installed skid

I had some trouble getting the skid to mount flush with the underside of the bumper. I think the bumper has a slight twist in it which was likely the problem. Just remember to torque the steering gear/frame bolt to 70 ft/lbs and the bumper bolt to 77 ft/lbs.
It's constructed of 3/8" steel and has a nice powdercoating with no flaws. It wraps closely around the steering gear. I hope that it'll stand up to anything I happen to bounce off of without deforming. I'm pretty happy with it, it wraps nicely around the gear box and wasn't too expensive.
quadna71

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Warn TJ steering box skid Reply with quote

i put my warn skid on my jeep - but i had a rokmen front bumper already replacing the factory bumper. there weren't any issues with alignment (that i had heard from other people too) so maybe aftermarket bumper manufacturers just have a more square surface? either way - rock solid (pardon the pun) and is a great product.
chris
AggieDog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code3, I just put a Warn Steering Box skid plate on my 04 TJ. I also have the Warn front bumper. You were right, it pretty much is a simple task. I didnt have any trouble getting my bumper bolt out, so the hardest task was simply drilling the 3/8 inch hole into the tube support bracket that extends between the left and right frames. This looks like a smart investment as I dont like how Jeep has that steering box sitting out there in front just waited to be smacked by something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Projects & Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: