Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Soon To Be.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
needles

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Soon To Be. Reply with quote

Shocked I am seriously considering jumping into a Jeep next month..
I will trade in my 2000 Accord EX V6 4dr ..for a Jeep, which Jeep.. Im still wrackin my brain over.. but I am sick and tired of having to 'baby' my damn car.. oh no..tree sap.. oh no a dent.. oh no a speed bump.. hehe.. dont get me wrong- its a nice car. its served its purpose.. :p

at this point im ready to grab the trade in 9k value.. and go hossin around.. my current residence is located 'in the county' anyway.. my yard is hilly and unlandscaped.. I keep picturing myself smooshin around in it in a jeep..

wow I sure seem long winded huh Smile ..must be my pseudo enthusiam..

Im torn between.. Wrangler. or Liberty. to tell you the truth, from my perspective, the Wrangler seems like the more logical choice.. for my desires.. the liberty I think id be worried bout 'dents' and 'dings' on the body ya know.. but gettin crushed in a side impact while ridin a wrangler kinda, bums me out.. Id have to get a hardtop wrangler to keep the theives at bay.. another friend recommends the xterra, but I dont want to feel like im driving a boat on the road.. shock
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

DO NOT GET AN XTERRA!!!!!

Also....DO NOT GET A LIBERTY!!!

Get the Wrangler. You won't regret it.
needles

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeea, thats what i like to hear Smile Smile Smile I dunno I just think the wrangler will mesh well with me.. *heh, whatever that means* hahah..

its kinda scarey to tell you the truth, you goto jeep.com and its like 21k+ for an okay one..

i need someone to talk JEEPS with :x
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't buy a new one, there are plenty of good wranglers out there. I would guess that the people on this forum are in the minority in that we actually wheel our Jeeps.
Where do you live? Try looking on Auto Trader or something similar to get a general idea. You said that you were going to trade in your Honda-were you planning on getting a Jeep at a dealership? If so I would probably reccomend looking for a non Jeep dealership who got one on trade in. It'll probably be cheaper. If you are going to sell the car outright then your options are more open.

Good luck Mr. Green

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
needles

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good point, ive always been leary on buying 'new' cars, even with my current car, i waited and played my cards right, and got a good deal.. (ebay hehe) ..ive toyed with it, threw on apex-i coilovers, intake, replaced lights, etc.. now im bored..

I just want something tough, that will make snow piss green...

I guess i just have to salvitate at all the wranglers and such... i have to educate myself further on what Im looking for, i could get a truck, lift it- etc.. but itd be prone to fishtails am I right? on dead ice roads, etc... Neutral shock

come winter i just want to OWN the county roads..
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of our Jeeps were bought new...we are the original owners. Jen bought the TJ off the lot and the XJ (back in 96) was built for me with the exact options I wanted. The daily driver (Toyota Matrix) was also bought new this year. Buying new is not something to be leary of or avoid...you just have to educate yourself and be well informed prior to walking into the dealership.

Whether you buy new or used, you have to do your homework...

Good Luck!

Steve

edit - Moved this to Gen Tech to give it a little more visibility. Wink

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Last edited by ThePhantum on Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Onkover

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i need someone to talk JEEPS with

Well it would seem that you came to the right forum.
Giving the choice you have put down i would say your best bet would be a stock Wrangler. No mods. That way you can build it to your needs. Plus it is nice to get to know your ride before you start changing things.
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with a Wrangler (TJ) 97 - up. A few things that would have helped me out when I first looked at mine. If you plan on wheeling make sure that you get a used jeep with a Dana 44 rear axle. I think they are really common on 99 and up Sports and Sahara's( I could be wrong but someone else will chime in and tell you). Make sure you get the I-6, nothing wrong with the 4 banger, but it lacks balls and doesn't get better gas mileage. Next check underneath the jeep for rust, or make sure that nothing is broken or leaking.

Good luck with the shopping and welcome to the board

My Morning Jacket
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onkover wrote:
Quote:
i need someone to talk JEEPS with

Well it would seem that you came to the right forum.
Giving the choice you have put down i would say your best bet would be a stock Wrangler. No mods. That way you can build it to your needs. Plus it is nice to get to know your ride before you start changing things.

Don't totally agree. Buying a Jeep that already has some aftermarket accessories on it can not only save you some money, but time as well. I've done my share of wrenching and loved most of it. The value of a lift or tires or a winch is almost pennies on the dollar. I recently bought a land rover with the following :$1800 bumper/skid combo, $650 sliders, $600 winch, $200 synthetic line, $200 IPF lights, $700 rack, 2" OME lift ($700) and 5 Truxus tires on Wolf Rims ($1200 in wheels and tires). All of that (around $6000 new) only added around $500-$1000 to the price that I paid.

I'm not saying only buy a built rig. I'm saying buy what seems to be the best deal built or not. I know almost none of us can afford EVERYTHING that we want to put on our jeeps. It's no harm to let someone else foot the bill for you.

Only allow 10% or so on any accessories and don't feel bad about doing it. If they were smart they would have taken all that crap off and sold them and that is what you can do to actually lower what you are going to spend on the Jeep(or to buy what accessories you really want).

I can say that stock jeeps may seem to be more desireable because they haven't been wheeled, but I've seen my fair share that were ragged out beyond all belief that have never seen dirt. YMMV in what you find. Again, try Auto Trader and Ebay to get an idea. Look at some of our rigs, I know that a bunch of the members here have pages for their rigs. A page that I looked at a lot before I bought my YJ (stock except for a 3" BL and 32's) was www.webejeepin.com . Glenn is the man. Also http://www.stu-offroad.com/index.shtml . Stu is also the man. No, they are not the same man.

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Onkover

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stu is good people also in person.

Yah I thought about that after I posted and and wasn't clear on what i ment. To me it is good to get a stock 4wd and work up to what ever level you need for your use. YOu might agree that relaying on your equipment when you have little to no off roading skills is a bad thing. Even If you do have skills every Rig is different and is nice to get to know your rig before making changes. The advatage that a buyer has for a rig that has been build is great in a lot of ways. I do agree that as the buyer you can get a lot of stuff for cheap. Yet it is wasted on someone that is a newbie that not only may not know what parts are on the rig but what isn't stock anymore. Becouse of mods that I have done on some of my other rigs I have buyers request a list. This is a good idea to get if you do buy something that has been wrenched over. I can babble on an on....
needles

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everyone, ill check out the links, I woke up @ 5am and starting doin some more ;homework; read up on snow related stuff etc..

Ill try to post some pics of places where id go with it locally and what i want to do it with mine, so i can get a better feel for what type of mods I will need done- Wink
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the topic of built or bought. The saying goes, "jeeps are built not bought" I really don't think it matters if you do your homework on that vehicle. There are plenty of HS kid's that have mommy and daddy build it and never wheel it. I wouldn't mind buying one like that, or one that some one built for looks. I'd have a hard time buying one that somebody wheeled the hell out of. Of course you might not know how hard some one's driven it before. Just use your best judgement on it, and spend the $60 to have a good mechanic look at it.

My Morning Jacket
needles

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been trying to track one down locally at a used dealership, that isnt built, looks like 14k is the lowpoint for wranglers around here for a 2000 (auto, v6) ..

I informally got one of my major gripes addressed too, apparently I can just weld a side bar as to elimate som bodily damage in a side impact.. I dont mind having to jimmy in and out of the car with that bar in the way..

so far this is a possible candidate..

clicky

to preface that, i dont want to privately sell my car, its being financed still, about 8k left on it.. so I dont really envision myself buying from a private seller at this point either....

imo, its a bit much-- ..i think a good deal would be right around 8-9k
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey needles.

Have you tried the little nickle as well as that pickle magazine?

Also what part of washington are you in? Im up in marysville myself. You know that little hole in the wall just north of everett. I can help you look at a few if your interested and in my area. Wink
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta try The Stranger. Shocked
Wait, you're looking for a Jeep. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: