Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Skid plate/trans cross member

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tardis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Skid plate/trans cross member Reply with quote

I recently had to remove the skid plate/cross member on my 94' Wrangler to install a new cat/converter & tranny mount. One of the bolt holes in the frame stripped out, and the bolt just spun. I used a grinder to grind the head off of the bolt so I could remove the skid plate and I pulled what appeared to be a "rivet nut" out of the frame rail. Seeing as Jeep framerails are completely boxed in, my question is is there an easy way to replace the missing "rivet nut" without cutting a hole in the frame? Has anybody else had this problem? Help Confused
Tardis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I solved the problem myself. I pulled the rivet nut out. I used a ball peen hammer to pound a recess into the frame so a nut could be flush mounted. I welded the nut in place, and voila my bolt hole is restored, and my skid plate is back on.
quadna71

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for posting this one. i have the same problem with my '03 tj as well. i know that eventually i'll pulling it back off for either a flat skid or a LA kit....still trying to decide how to repair it once and for all.
chris
kygreenyj

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a good way to do it i think i might be havien that prblem wheni take my t case drop off, thanks for being the guinea pig Very Happy

06 Ford Escape Hybrid

03 KLR 650
93RockYJ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drilled mine out and retapped it. That worked as well.
Mudnut

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Rivnuts Reply with quote

Hey there.. I just had the same problem with the Cj and what we did was drill out the old rivnuts and weld in some new ones.

A nut and bolt works just as well, but I bet some fastener company has rivnuts available. I'm lucky enough to work where the Tjs frames are manufactured.. Cool

~Mudnut~
Tardis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rivnuts Reply with quote

Mudnut wrote:
Hey there.. I just had the same problem with the Cj and what we did was drill out the old rivnuts and weld in some new ones.

A nut and bolt works just as well, but I bet some fastener company has rivnuts available. I'm lucky enough to work where the Tjs frames are manufactured.. Cool

~Mudnut~

Man, I'd really like to get me hands on some of those. Do you think you could procure a dozen or so of those with the tapered head bolts? If you can let me know how much they would cost shipped to 44057. Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: