Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dropped pitman arm

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecrab3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: dropped pitman arm Reply with quote

Hey Corey, what are you doing for your steering set up? I havent driven mine much since the lift, but I can see the steering angles look kinda scary. Im considering the dropped pitman arm. Swampy told me that a ZJ arm would probably do the trick but I wanted to hear some other opinions too before I start scavanging the yards. I seen that the avg ebay price is $55 and a Skyjacker set up is $165!! whew Shocked

TIA

eddie
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need more info on your ride, whats the exact problem, type of lift, how many inches, etc..

My Morning Jacket
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, it really depends on how much lift you have. Also rememeber once you get to 3+", the entire steering system becomes starts becoming inadequate...especially the tie rod and ends. So, in addition to the ptiman arm you may want to consider swapping in the tie rod and ends from a V8 ZJ as well.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe he did a 4.5 with a BB.. Something like that.. And I have told him the same thing.. ZJ stuff all the way.. I think he just wants to know if the ZJ arm is a little longer as we have heard.. I guess I could just measure mine and have him measure his but thats hard to do from my computer chair.. rofl rofl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ecrab3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, my bad, I just assume everyone knows what im up to Razz

Its actually a RE 5.5 XD on top of a tera flex BB. IM guessing 7". Might be a lil more since the rear leaves are spanking new.

The tires will be 33" swamper tsls with a AA sye and High Angle driveline.

I talked to carl about getting some ZJ stuff for my front, but I remember seeing some questionable opinions on dropped pitman arms, so im looking for more comments.

Im definitely going with the zj tie rod and anything else that will beef up the front.

I havent driven it much cause im still waiting on parts, but im only about 2 weeks away from being 100% complete.
CoreyXJ
Turkish
Turkish

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie - My pitman arm is long enough for a 3" lift but the tie rods are at a pretty good angle as it is. The ZJ pitman arm is longer yes, but there are more "aftermarket" ones available too. If you check RE, Tomken, and maybe TeraFlex they might have some longer ones that are designed for 5+ inches of lift. Another thing is the trac bar. I relocated mine 3/4" over towards the driver side on the same bracket, but I was quickly running out of metal. Buying an adjustable one allows use of factory holes, and you can get it adjusted up to speed a lot easier. The tie rods will expand a lille ways, but there again, you run out of metal fast. You don't want to do anything like put bigger couplers on the tie rods. An alignment shop should be able to take a new trac bar, new pit man arm, new tie rods, the pear tree, and the partridge, and make sense out of it all. I wish I had gotten a bigger lift now so I could do all this with ya!!!
Lifes a garden, Dig it? (Joe Dirt)
CoreyXJ

"Do what you love to do...the money will eventually follow" - I. Larry
ecrab3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Corey. IM gonna try the ZJ one as a temp solution till I run into a longer one for cheap (did I mention that im tight?) Im sure the ZJ one can be had for dirt cheap at a junkyard if not free Wink

I still havent wheeled with it in its current set up, so it may not be a big deal, but the ends are at some big angles.,,,just another precaution.

I really need to focus on spare shafts or HD shafts now that the tires are so big and im running stock gearing....mo money mo money mo money!
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked out Rusty's steering system. It's about $240 and replaces the stock Y-setup with a T-setup. Tie rod goes from knuckle to knuckle.

Here's a review that BlackKeith wrote.
http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=786
ecrab3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I seen one review on that, but it wasnt a completely favorable one, I thought it looked solid enough though.

IThanks for another option, and it isnt a expensive one at all. IM gonna need something to tame these big ass TSLs...whew
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrab3 wrote:
Cool, I seen one review on that, but it wasnt a completely favorable one, I thought it looked solid enough though.

IThanks for another option, and it isnt a expensive one at all. IM gonna need something to tame these big ass TSLs...whew

The cost is one of the things that I really like about the steering. I've heard about 50/50 favorable/unfavorable. I figure it's gotta be better than the stock stuff and the design is better than the upgrade ZJ tie rod. Not to mention it costs just slightly more than the ZJ tie rod upgrade.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: