Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fixing KTJ's TPS Sensor !!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CoreyXJ
Turkish
Turkish

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Fixing KTJ's TPS Sensor !!! Reply with quote

Ever since our journey to Land Between the Lakes KTJ's jeep has had the CHECK ENGINE light on and the codes it was throwing said the TPS sensor was fubar'd sooooooo I decide I am going to fix it.
First thing- I get the TB off and am greeted by a small swimming pool. More commonly known as an "intake" There was enough water in the thing to fill a Coke can. I cleaned that out and began disassembling the TB. First I took the AIS out and cleaned all the crap off it. Then I tried to get the TPS sensor off the TB main body - YEAH RIGHT.
I broke not only a good T-20 hand tool, but I broke the 3/8" T-20 that I had also... Grrrrr!!!
After much thought I decided that I would once again use my SawZall and cut the TPS sensor off of the TB. 10 seconds later I now had the TPS off.
To get the studs that were sticking out, I welded two nuts on there and backed them out slow. Works every time! Went to Home Depot and bought some new machine screws, screwed the new TPS sensor back on, put a new TB gasket on the intake. I made sure all the kids were out of the pool, and bolted it all back together. After all that I unhooked the battery and reset the 'puter so the CHECK ENGINE would go off.......
Now hopefuly when I go back outside to start it, it will run great - Lets hope!!

One more thing. For a 97 TJ if you go to a parts store and cross refference the original part number it comes out wrong. D/C screwed that up I guess, but the TPS sensor that works is for 96 and earlier. The data plugs are different after 97!!

Heres a few pics of what went on....

This is where the small pool was.

Heres the TB with new TPS sensor installed and Air Input Sensor cleaned.

This is everything re-installed and hooked back up. Make sure you keep it clean around the TB and make sure no water gets in there!!!

List of things I used.....
New machine screws. 10/32x1" is the exact ones. Old ones in front there with thier heads cut off.

Fel-Pro intake gasket for good measure. Never trust an old one after you take the TB off.

Things KTJ owes me after I am all done with this.
One T-20 socket.....

One T-20 hand tool.....

Toolz I used....
One messy bin full of chrome to play with...

One really strong vice to hold parts so you can beat them into a pulp.

My absolute favorite tool to deal with stuborn and difficult people

Most importantly a faithful MIG to fix things that you break - on accident or on purpose!! I used it to weld on nuts to the studs and back them out with a wrench instead off a little ol' T-20

After all that I am left with this....

"Do what you love to do...the money will eventually follow" - I. Larry
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't put on a 4.0 TB while you had it off? You must really hate him. Finger ANd how the hell did he fill it with water???? Shocked
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water dont belong in there???!??1??!?@22?

cracked head? blown head gasket? intake manifold gasket gone south?

or was KKK er um I mean KTJ trying to fill the radiator via the air box tube?

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
CoreyXJ
Turkish
Turkish

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what the heck he was doing or how water even got in there. It was just plain water, no coolant, no funy smell...just pool of H2O...?? Its beyond me. The lifeguard at the pool was pretty hot though......

J/K
CoreyXJ

ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixing KTJ's TPS Sensor !!! Reply with quote

CoreyXJ wrote:
One really strong vice to hold parts so you can beat them into a pulp.

My absolute favorite tool to deal with stuborn and difficult people

Ah yes...nice to see another who sees these tools the same way I do. rofl

Great write up and great job Corey! Smile

As far as the H2O, that is pretty wierd...did you guys do any water crossings where it could have come in through the airbox?

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CoreyXJ
Turkish
Turkish

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We didn't do a whole lot of water action. I mean we did go through some soupy mudd at one point, so thats the only way I can figure that he got water up on top of his engine. The 2 1/2 days were sort of run together so I don't remember when we went through the wet stuff and when his CE light came on. It very well could have come on right afterwards. I actually read some where on a tec write up that pre 98 TJ's had problems with their TPS and AIS sensors because they were designed poorly. After 98 a silicon seal was added and the plug redesigned to be more anti-water. D/C learns that way ya know.... Enough of them get screwed up, then change it !!
"Only a fool doesn't learn from their mistakes..." - CoreyXJ's late grandfather said that.....

Laterz

Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always hated mud, and that watery mud that we went through infected my jeep some how. It's wierd as hell. Confused

My Morning Jacket
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Projects & Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: