Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Grand Owner with ?'s

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mighty Mouse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:25 am    Post subject: New Grand Owner with ?'s Reply with quote

Hey all, I just bought a 97 Grand with a 5.2 and have a few questions. It has 74k on it. I got it fairly cheap but it does have a couple issues that will be fixed under warrenty. Anyhow what exactly does it have? I know it has a 5.2 but what trans, t case and axles? I assume the front is a D30 but is the rear a D35 or a D44? I have not crawled under to check but at quick glance it looks like a D35. Also looking for what is upgradeable on it. Once the warrenty is up I do plan to do a t case swap but not sure to what case. This is my wifes DD so it will be on the mild side with just a 3" or so lift and 31" BFG AT's. It will only see mild wheeling so unless it is actually needed I don't plan on swapping in gears or lockers. What are some common mods or upgrades for me to consider?
90 K5, tbi350/th400/241/SYE/3" Tuff Country/D60 Powerlock/14ff Detroit/4:10's/Crossover Steering/Hydro Assist/37" MTR's

87 Burb, tbi454. Drinks gas and hauls ass.

92 YJ, 4 Banger for now.

97 Grand Cherokee, 5.2
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess Carl can answer most of these questions. he's are resident ZJ guru and handy with a zaw saw!
The 5.2 is the special edition limited right? Is your silver? just post pics

My Morning Jacket
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only Guess because you didnt give us much to go on... 44A is pretty common in Grands.. (Easy test is a magnet.. Its aluminum and magnet wont stick..) I can also guess that you have the 249 Transfer Case..
Marked 4fulltime -----4 lo..... IF its marked 2WD...4Hi...4fulltime....4 lo.. then you have the 242... (No real need to swap this out...)

You can check the tag on your rear axle as well.. and find out the gear ratio..

Keep in mind that if you have a factory tow hitch there is a good chance you have limited slip rear end..You should have another tag that says "Traction Additive Required " or something like that..

If you post a pic of your Rig and the VIn Number I can find out exactly what it has...

Also the 35 housing is round and the 44 is kind of stop sign shaped..
Dont be real excited if you have the 44A . Like I said its aluminum and it will wear out .. You might be better off with the 35 for light wheeling..
I am still running the 35 in mine ... (With a super 35 kit.) But my 8.8 will be in by the end of next weekend...

Post up if you have any more questions...

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mighty Mouse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's full time 4wd, an automatic, it's white with gray leather. It's a Limited.
90 K5, tbi350/th400/241/SYE/3" Tuff Country/D60 Powerlock/14ff Detroit/4:10's/Crossover Steering/Hydro Assist/37" MTR's

92 YJ, 4 Banger for now.

97 Grand Cherokee, 5.2
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fulltime 4wd makes that a 249.. Not a bad case but they are known to eat VC's at about 100,000 and tranny is most likely the 44re

Here is a chart to tell for yourself..
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/trans/

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mighty Mouse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the signs of a VC going bad? I'm not to worried but the full time case is gonna fly after the warrenty is up. What front axle upgrades are there? Is there any way to put a disconnect on the front axle? I thought about going with a BB to fit 31's but I am really thinking about a suspention lift to do it instead. What would you reccommend? This is going to be a daily driver for the wife but it needs some attitude. BTW she uses the K5 in my sig pretty much as a driver since it was built for her.

92 YJ, 4 Banger for now.

97 Grand Cherokee, 5.2
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swap in a 242 or 231 and you can put in a HP30 (XJ ) Much stronger and direct bolt in..

Signs of a bad VC are that you feel like its locking up on tight turns.. IF you do some figure 8's in the parking lot and it feels like the front end is binding its a bad VC.. Beware bringing this to Mechanics or dealer. they dont usually know what is going wrong and they will change tranny instead of T-case. (depending on if you have a good dealership) But most mechanics wont have the slightest Idea.. I have heard of them rebuilding the front end.. Rebuilding tranny . In one case they told a guy to take off his front shaft .Which of course destroyed his t-case... (Nice move tool: ...)

Moral of this story is.. If you are having problems ..Ask here first and once you know whats going on.. Then you can bring it to a mechanic if needed...

Recently talked to someone about doing a 249>242 swap and she (yes she) Brought it to a mechanic .. It took them forever to do the swap and they had tons of problems..
I did mine in my driveway in a day...

Anyway.. When the warranty expires and you are ready to do some mods.. Let me know.. I can talk you thru almost anything you want to do... Mr. Green

Mighty Mouse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swamp boy wrote:
Swap in a 242 or 231 and you can put in a HP30 (XJ ) Much stronger and direct bolt in..

Signs of a bad VC are that you feel like its locking up on tight turns.. IF you do some figure 8's in the parking lot and it feels like the front end is binding its a bad VC.. Beware bringing this to Mechanics or dealer. they dont usually know what is going wrong and they will change tranny instead of T-case. (depending on if you have a good dealership) But most mechanics wont have the slightest Idea.. I have heard of them rebuilding the front end.. Rebuilding tranny . In one case they told a guy to take off his front shaft .Which of course destroyed his t-case... (Nice move tool: ...)

Moral of this story is.. If you are having problems ..Ask here first and once you know whats going on.. Then you can bring it to a mechanic if needed...

Recently talked to someone about doing a 249>242 swap and she (yes she) Brought it to a mechanic .. It took them forever to do the swap and they had tons of problems..
I did mine in my driveway in a day...

Anyway.. When the warranty expires and you are ready to do some mods.. Let me know.. I can talk you thru almost anything you want to do... Mr. Green

Thanks for the help so far!!! Here is a really dumb ?. Where is the t stat? Is it under the top radiator hose like on most vehicles? I looked and I can't see to much between the accessories and did not see any bolts for a housing. I want to completely service it asap just so I know all fluids are new and clean.

Another dumb ?, why would removing the front shaft hurt the t case even if it is full time?

Also, are there any direct rear D44 swap's?

92 YJ, 4 Banger for now.

97 Grand Cherokee, 5.2
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ONly direct 44 swap would be from Currie or something like that.. Very $$$$$

T-stat is at the end of the top hose.. Real pain in the butt to get to.. Two
13mm (I think) screws you will need about a 6" extension to get to them.. I have done it by taking the hose off and leaving it on.. Doesnt seem to matter its hard both ways.. Mr. Green You will probobly be better off leaving the top hose on the neck because its really hard to get to the stupid hose clamp to get it on once you are finished...

By the way.. Its harder to put it on than it is to get it off.. rofl But easily doable by someone with minor skills.. Just takes patience..

Taking the front shaft off will affect you in several ways.. First off since its a full time 4wd it is split traction 50/50 so your front output will be spinning away and taking up half your power and you wont be going anywhere.. And if that werent bad enough.. When you put it in park the t-case will lock the front axle which wont be connected to a shaft.. This CAN (maynot but it can) allow your rear axle to turn...
Not a good thing...
Post 97 they worked out some of the problems with the 249 case ... Meaning you can remove shaft in them..
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it is really not good to take the front shaft off of a pre 97 ZJ. But like I said its easy to swap cases when you are ready... Cool

Carl

Mighty Mouse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Grand has abs so I will need a XJ front axle with abs. What years would work? Also what years should I look in for a 242 case? My friend owns a junk yard so I can go scout parts anytime.

92 YJ, 4 Banger for now.

97 Grand Cherokee, 5.2
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesnt matter what year axle you use as long as they have tone rings.. Just use your own outer nuckles and your sensor will work..

For the case it needs to be a 97 or newer so that you will not have any problems with the Vehicle imfo center .. And such.. (242 was a option so wires are there to hook it up so that the light will show 2wd 4 full time ............ )

Good luck..

Carl

Mighty Mouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I will look for a 242 out of a 97 or newer. Does it matter what trans is in front of it or just make sure it comes from and auto equipped vehicle? HPD30 should be easy to find. Should I also grab the drive shafts from an XJ? I heard the front is a better design on an XJ front compared to what the Grand has now. Not going to mess with the rear axle yet but I have some ideas for a D44 swap that might work. Also I am going to do the lift at the same time, I am only planning to run 31's on it so I'm thinking a 3 1/2" lift will go under. What lift should I go with? It does not need to be a flex king but it will see some mild wheeling.

92 YJ, 4 Banger for now.

97 Grand Cherokee, 5.2
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running RE lift.. I like it..
[url]Jevinsjeepparts.com[/url] has everything you will need..

The only think that matters is the input shaft on the t-case .. Length needs to be the same.. Sad part is.. yours has to be out to measure it.. Sad

But I can tell you the 5.2 is long and the 4.0 is a short shaft.. And no matter what XJ case you get if you have a 5.2 you will have to open it up and swap the input...

I am also running an XJ front Shaft.. Its double cardan and it had bigger joints than my stock one..... Mr. Green

Good luck yarding..
If you come across a set of hood vents for a Grand Am GT Grab them for me I cant find any around here...

Carl

Mighty Mouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So all I need to do is swap the input from my 249 to the 242? Also what about the 4wd shifter? Friend with the junkyard has everything I need and has a case with 49k for $300. I am probably going to get an RE lift. I'll keep my eyes open for the GT parts.

92 YJ, 4 Banger for now.

97 Grand Cherokee, 5.2
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup.. thats it... and the shifter linkage will snap right in to place.. Might need a little adjusting.. (Very easy to do.) But you dont have to change a thing.

Read my write up in the tech section... ITs pretty detailed..

Carl

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: