Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did Brakes today

View previous topic :: View next topic  
majikxms

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Did Brakes today Reply with quote

Did the rear brakes today on my XJ, Good Stuff!!! While I was there something kept sticking out, something needed to go, oh yeah the rear sway bar. Let's see if the wife notices on her 5 minute commute to work...LOL.

Last edited by majikxms on Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Drake69

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Did Brakes today Reply with quote

majikxms wrote:
While I was there something kept sticking out, something needed to go, oh yeah the rear stab. Let's see if the wife notices on her 5 minute commute to work...LOL.

rofl

I can see it now... "Honey? Why is the truck shifting when I make a turn?!"

Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee honey, this thing seems to sway alot lately, did you do something to it wheelin?? rofl
majikxms

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She drove it today, I asked her if it felt ok because I did the brakes and wanted to make sure it was alright for her. She said she didn't notice anything different. Wink
themajor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The truck is broken, you been screwing with it again????"
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't it dangerous to leave the rear sway bar out?

My Morning Jacket
majikxms

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it just makes it seem like you're in a boat. Phantum, Drake69 and Vic have been running that setup for some time now with no dangerous after affects. I have heard of TJ problems when you disconnect the rear sway bar, but that had to do with the coils slipping off I think. The front is still connected though, and the back has the leaf pack, so I don't have to worry about coming undone. I'm gonna run it like that for awhile and see how I like it. I know off road it'll make a difference because the rear will flex more.

Last edited by majikxms on Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly Dale...

With the TJ (rear coils), you not only run the risk of having the spring actually fall out during full articulation...but if you disco the rear, you lose downforce on the tire still on the ground if the suspension is fully extended. The antiswaybar actually exerts downforce on the axle which can keep you moving in low traction situations. No downforce on the axle at full droop = you're not gonna move...it's just a fucntion of how the TJ's suspension works. Plus removing the rear swaybar (again, on the TJ) can contribute to a tipover or rollover on steep or severely offcamber terrain.

Leaf springs are more stable than coils, so on XJ's, YJ's and CJ's it's a good mod.

Having said that...it's time for the disclaimer...Removal of an anti-sway bar should only be explored by individuals willing to slow down and accept that it may compromise the handling of the vehicle in panic situations. If you cannot, in good conscience, shoulder the personal responsibility demanded in a decision to remove an anti-sway bar, I recommend you remove neither front or rear anti-sway bar.

Carry On.

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General BS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: