Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone welded in the rear?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecrab3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Anyone welded in the rear? Reply with quote

Kinda sounds like a dirty question at first rofl

Well I was wondering on opinions on welded rear ends. Ideally I wold like a locker, but there isnt much (I think) for a 8.25 that is cheap, like a lockright or aussie locker, and I dont think I have seen a spool so my next option is welding the spiders. Now Swampy has a spool in his rear 8.8 that is making some noise and harder to turn because both his rear tires are pushing so hard that it has my questioning welding at all. I know someone with a XJ that is welded front and rear with no hubs! Yeouch! but its atrail only rig that gets trailered.

Whats the opinions on this? Just curious, im in no super hurry to do anything else to my XJ, im pooped Smile
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, from your post I gather that this rig will see street miles? I'm not sure I would do the ol "Lincoln Electric" locker on a rig that's not trailered. You could run a DD welded, but, aside from the posibilty of blowing out the spiders, the rear tires are going to wear down faster, especially when you corner.

Also, a lot of it is also gonna depend on what size tires you run, how hard you wheel, etc....i.e. - how much stress you put on the axle. I also gather you are talking about a 97 8.25, which has the slightly stronger 29 spline.

According to what I've read, heard and talked to folks about (so this is not my own first hand experiance), you should be good up to about a 33" tire with the 29 spline, after that you run more risk of blowing up the rear...especially if you wheel real hard.

My own opinion? Wait until you are ready to swap in a 44 or an 8.8...then weld up the 8.25 and wheel the hell out of it untill the spiders explode. Mr. Green

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ecrab3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear dat! That does make sense to have a back up on the side.

Yep, its a 97 with the stronger stuff. I am on 33s and hopefully dont plan on going any bigger rofl .

I do wheel alil hard, but im smart on the skinny pedal, thats why im concerned about the axle.

The XJ is a trail only rig, not my DD, have a Ram 1500 and ZJ for that, but I dont have a trailer so it will see the street on the way to the trails , so I have to also make sure I can get back home too....thanks for your advice. I guess if I can come across atleast another 8.25, I will have no worries Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: