Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new rearend?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigbruce

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: new rearend? Reply with quote

ok i have a 90 yj 4.2L 5speed 6'' lift and 33x12.50x15 pro comp x-terrains and it still has the stock dana 35 on the rear, im alil heavy on the throttle, should i start lookin at a tougher rearend?
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would.

The best 2 axles to look at for this application are a D44 from an XJ or a Ford 8.8 out of an Explorer.

The D44 will give you slightly more clearance (the 8.8 pumpkin is huge) but the 8.8 has the edge with strength (plus you can upgrade to rear disc brakes virtually for free).
uncle Don

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have the D35 in my YJ, and i run 35x12x50's, and havent had a problem, but when the D35 breaks, i will upgrade to a D44 or D60!

My foot isnt very heavy on the throttle, but i do some pretty KNARLY wheelin' Mr. Green
Candi
Sick Puppy
Sick Puppy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all in what you run (terrain, tires, and drive style). My brother twisted the splines on a D44 with 35X12.5 XT's. And we have both snapped D44 front axle shafts running 35's (and 37's, but that is more expected). I also ran 33's on the stock YJ 35 rear with nary an issue, but that was when I had a much lighter foot. I run a Scout 44 rear. Love it. Bit wider than stock, though.... Also know lots of folks that run a Waggy 44 rear and swear by it. My biggest recommendation: an EMSOffroad 69 axle. D60 outers, 9 inch center section. Costs much (which is why I don't have one yet), but DAMN is it strong. See www.emsoffroad.com for details on that.

-Candi
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: