Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5 speed in a XJ???

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
88greenxj

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just look out for the 89 and older xj they came with the pos peugot 5spd the biggest pile of crap tranny ever
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info
okumaguru

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: auto to manual swap Reply with quote

New to the forum. My son just pulled his automatic out of his 90 Cherokee and installed a 5 speed from a 1986 Cherokee Chief. We have had nothing but trouble out of it but a lot of it was do to a young man getting into to big of a hurry and not paying attention to details like,,,tightening bolts and other unimportant things. Anyway, to the point, I am afraid we have the BA10/5 Puegot transmission. It just started making a noise like something internal is coming out or loose. It makes a "thumping" noise in all gears except for 4th gear.
As far as the change, he couldn't be happier with it. It seems to have an unbelievable amount more power and is a lot more fun to drive.
Tim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pipxj

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 93 XJ with a 2.5 and the AX-5. No complaints here and it has over 192k on the odometer. It's a little sticky in the winter but other than that works great. My only complaint is with the engine, I wish I had a 4.0. Looking on Ebay, there are usually about 200 Cherokees and only about 10-20 of them have manuals.

okumanguru, check out www.midwestjeepthing.com , we're a jeep club in St. Louis
beaumecxxx

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello guys, I have posted a couple of questions regarding my 4WD Cherokee 1988 aka the Tractor. I looked for a long time in Vancouver Canada before I found a 5-speed Cherokee. I have driven 5-speeds all my life, the only exception being my present Audi A8 (aka the Beauty).

For using off-road in mountains (mountains everywhere around me Razz ) I far prefer the control of a 5 speed.

The combination of a light vehicle (3,200 pounds, weighed yesterday), strong 4.0 L engine and 5-speed is a dynamite solution. I am already looking for another 5-speed, for when this one dies LOL

Cheers
iamthechad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey just a note my 96 xj sport is a 4.0 and a 5 speed so they are out their and mine is great
XJ915speedJohn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Picked up my cherokee 3 years ago..mostly for camping and pulling the trailer. It just happen to be a 91 5 speed manual Laredo all electric none of that do it your self as other have quoted Very Happy .It is stock at the moment but a Rubicon 3.5 lift is on order and shall be here soon....so i may start on a upgrade project withing the week. Looking at 31inch kelly tires to go with my lift.I also have a new Plastic Gas tank to replace the original take with a protective skid plate. Hopefully my items will arrive soon so i can start to hit some trails.
Last year i redid the floor and my rockers panels myself was a good project.

Winters here in Montreal Canada are harsh on the body but my baby is tuff. Like all Jeeps.
PAFirefighter11

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '91 2 door had an AX15 in it and now has an '01 NV3550 Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: