Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gear Ratios for XJs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Gear Ratios for XJs Reply with quote

Hey found this about XJ ratios, true??

1984-1985
Dana 35 3.31, 3.73

Dana 35 3.31, 3.55, 4.11

1987-1989
Dana 35 3.08, 3.31, 3.55, 4.11, 4.56
Dana 44 3.07, 3.54

Dana 35 3.07, 3.55, 3.73, 4.11

1991 - 2000
Chrysler 8.25 3.07, 3.55, 4.10
Dana 35 3.07, 3.55, 3.73, 4.11

Chrysler 8.25 3.07, 3.55
Dana 35 3.07, 3.55, 3.73
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much. The only thing I see that does not look right is 4.56 gears in 87-89. I don't think 4.56 were ever put in Jeeps from the factory. That doesn't mean the did not put them in...just that I don't think so.

Here's the skinny on XJ's and gearing from what I know:

3.07's came with the 4.0L engine and manual transmission
3.31's were only available on older (pre 87) 2 door XJs with the "Fuel Economy" package
3.55's were used with 4.0L engine and automatic transmission
3.73's were found in SOME XJs with the towing package
4.10's were used with 2.5L engine usually. Older XJs (87 and earlier) got them with the "Off-Highway Vehicle" package.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nathan_Ouimet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys, I am kind of new to this whole thing, but very interested in learning as much as I can. So can someone please explain to me what all of this means? ???
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shows the axles, in this case the rear, what was available from the factory and what gears them came with. The higher the number like 4:10 the better they will turn bigger wheels, or the faster it will get up and go.

Last edited by Billy's89XJ on Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a good basic article that explains it, but basically those numbers are the gear ratio in the differential. The engine sends torque into the transmission and transfer case where it is transmitted to the driveshaft(s) and causes them to turn. If you look inside your diff, you'll see several gears. If you're running 4.10 gears, your ring gear will have 4.1 times as many gear teeth as the pinion gear. So, your driveshaft will turn 4.1 times before your axleshaft (and wheel/tire) makes one complete revolution. If you have 3.73 gears, the driveshaft will turn 3.73 times, etc. Does that make sense?
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. Better than mine rofl
Nathan_Ouimet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, that makes sense. thanks So if I have a 91 XJ, what is the gearing in mine. I think it is a D35 in hte rear and a D30 in the front. I am also wondering how big of tires I can run before I can risk braking something?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nathan_Ouimet wrote:
Ya, that makes sense. thanks So if I have a 91 XJ, what is the gearing in mine. I think it is a D35 in hte rear and a D30 in the front. I am also wondering how big of tires I can run before I can risk braking something?

It depends on what engine/tranny you have. If you have a 4 banger, you've got 4.10's. If you've got a 4.0L and an auto tranny, you've got 3.55's. If you've got a 4.0L and a manual tranny, you've got 3.07's.

As far as tire size goes, it really depends on how hard you wheel it. As a general rule, if you are thinking of going larger than 33's...think about swapping out those axles.

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nathan_Ouimet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks, I have a 4L I-6 with an auto. So is that pritty good for wheeling? I love to push the limits, however this is my DD so I don,t want to brake it. I try to wheel Moderatly, also because there are very few people aaround me how wheel. Most people around here tend to lower there trucks or whatever they have, so they are more concerned with making it over a speed bump than a rock or fallen tree. I have only seen and talked to one XJ owner, and his is more for looks, he does not want to scratch it. kick The high school kids here that do own a truck, it is ether a monster truck (strictly for show, never to see dirt) or it is 2wd and is only good for doons furious
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The I6/auto/3.55 works pretty well with the stock setup. If it's going to be your daily driver your probably not going to want to go larger than 33's. At that point you'll probably want to regear.

My advice? Figure out what size tires/how much lift you're going to end up with. Re-gearing is expensive, so you only want to have to do it once.

Quote:
Nathan_Ouimet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this time I have a 6" lift with 32's. I was told that I could go as big as 35's, but I was worried and wanted a second oppinion. I really only want to go to 33's, but like any other guy I am always thinking "Just how big can I go". Thanks for the advise. Now I just have to save for new ones. I was thinking about the BFG's 33-12.50-15 Mud Terrain KM. Does anyone know if they are any good or have a better choice?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nathan_Ouimet wrote:
At this time I have a 6" lift with 32's. I was told that I could go as big as 35's, but I was worried and wanted a second oppinion. I really only want to go to 33's, but like any other guy I am always thinking "Just how big can I go". Thanks for the advise. Now I just have to save for new ones. I was thinking about the BFG's 33-12.50-15 Mud Terrain KM. Does anyone know if they are any good or have a better choice?

You could get 35's under 6" of lift, but you would have to do some serious surgery on the fenders as well as lengthen the bumpstops.

BFG MT's are a good choice. We run them on the XJ and love 'em. We run GY MTR's on the TJ, great tire...but they are a lot more expensive.

A lot of people, swear by Truxs tires. I'm sure at least one of them will chime in... Wink

Quote:
Nathan_Ouimet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately I have been looking in junk yards around here looking for TJ fenders to put on to get more clearence, But no one around here has them. That is unless I want to pay $110 for a new set. I am travleing up north to fresno this weekend so I am hoping to find some there. Thanks for you input, I will have to check out the Truxs. I am not sure what those are. I have found that it is hard to beat the price of the BFG's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: