Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

need input on making an 03 better.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chachy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: need input on making an 03 better. Reply with quote

I have an 03 sport with all the options. I am looking at making it something that is great off the road no matter what terrain but not getting too out of hand so I can't drive it for a day to day ride. I already have the rear 44 and 4W disks, I was thinking of:
-2.5" rancho rockcrawler
-31" pro comp X terrains
-detroit electrac front and rear (if they start making one for the 30)
possibly
-atlas II
-one of the intakes + jet chip
-banks exhaust but don't know if these make that much of a difference
haven't wheeled in a while, but am starting to get back into it again. this is my first jeep and I AM OPEN FOR SUGGESTIONS!!!
greenbean

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Suggestions Reply with quote

I am no expert but I think if you look through the posts concerning engine upgrades for the jeep 4.0l engine you will see that most agree for the amount of money you spend, (ex. High flow intake, headers, high flow cat back exhaust, chip) you end spending in the neighborhood of $2-3k for maybe 20-30hp gain. On top of that the HP gain isn't even in the 4.0l designed powerband. This only my opinion, but I think that money is much better used on a rock-solid undercarrige. A good reputable lift, SYE kit with new driveshafts, lockers and re-gearing, stronger axle shafts,...etc you get my point. The 4.0l has plenty of power and more importantly torque. What you want is a drive train and suspension that will hold up under repeated off road use and abuse, but again this is what I have gleaned from reading a lot of posts/replies by the heavy hitters on this forum. Ask yourself if you want bling*bling going down the street or functionality off-road. Experts please chime in Cool

Will
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you looking to do? Rocks, mud, sand???
What's your max height/tire size? 31s, 33s, 35s???
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: need input on making an 03 better. Reply with quote

chachy wrote:
I have an 03 sport with all the options. I am looking at making it something that is great off the road no matter what terrain but not getting too out of hand so I can't drive it for a day to day ride. I already have the rear 44 and 4W disks, I was thinking of:
-2.5" rancho rockcrawler
-31" pro comp X terrains
-detroit electrac front and rear (if they start making one for the 30)
possibly
-atlas II
-one of the intakes + jet chip
-banks exhaust but don't know if these make that much of a difference
haven't wheeled in a while, but am starting to get back into it again. this is my first jeep and I AM OPEN FOR SUGGESTIONS!!!

Since you are looking at a 2" - 3" lift, consider OME. We run it on our 02 TJ. The ride is better than stock on the road and wheels awesome. I know you said you were thinking 31's, but with 2.5" lift you can run 32's or squeeze 33's.

As far as chips and intakes, IMHO all they will do is make your engine make more noise, there are no noticable performance gains. USe that money towards something else.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chachy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to be able to do rock, mud and sand. that is why I was thinking of not getting too crazy with mods. I don't think I would go bigger than 33" tires.
I have read the intake/exhaust posts and have pretty much decided against those!
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've wheeled the TJ (actually both Jeeps) in all kinds of terrain, including rocks, mud and sand. If you go OME, you will not be dissappointed.

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chachy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would you recommend the 2-3 or 4" OME lift? since you said that it is a better ride than stock, I am thinking it is better to have and not need (4") than need and not have?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know (and someone correct me if I am wrong), OME only makes lifts at 2.5" for TJ's. However, we've netted around 3" after the suspension settled. In hindsight, we could have easily fit 33's under there (it's on 32's now).

A couple of poser shots:

Quote:
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I to have the old man emu suspension and I love it

My Morning Jacket
chachy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to look into that one now, how is the articulation?
I really like the way that TJ looks too!
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a vendor that has OME manufacture the 4" lift coils for them, just for sale in North America. I cant remember the name but they are the largest importer of ARB products in the US.

I too have the OME 2.5" coil lift. All HD coils and shocks and realy enjoy it. Its way better than the factory stock ride. This is my Rube build up in progress. Clicky, Clicky! I used the ACOS spacers to end up with @4.5" lift. I love this setup. Great for both on and off road.

As far as should you buy a Rubicon? Tough decision. I was in the same boat as you only with a 1year old 02 TJ X. In my case my X had low miles and looked like it had just rolled off the lot. After doing tons of homework pricewise on both my X and the Rubs I was looking at I headed to the dealer with lots of notes. My timing was perfect also. I bought mine shortly after the war started and new car sales had been way down for months due to everyone tightening up. So that helped and I drove off with a new 03 Rubicon.

Good luck. Even if you stay with what you have its an incredably capable rig as is and will make for a good base to build on.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd if you could research the 4"OME coils, I would love more info on that.

My Morning Jacket
JoeLove

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: OME 4" Coils Reply with quote

Give Dirk a call at DPG Offroad, he sells OME and can get the new 4" coils.

Great guy and good prices too!

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/ 316-776-9900

HTH

Joe
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Dirk is where I got our TJ's setup from. He's got the best deals on the OME stuff that I've seen as well.

Quote:
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OME is a great way to go. It's the lift on my Disco II and it rides pretty dang well. Word to the wise- don't skimp on the steering stabilizer like the former owner of my Disco did. An extra $50 for a Heavy Duty OME stabilizer is more than worth it if you're already dropping the major clams on the lift and shox.

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: