Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

need input on making an 03 better.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chachy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Thanks, Now what about lockers? Reply with quote

What lockers would be good. I have heard that I don't want a fulltime locker and I have seen that Detroit makes an electrac for the 44 rear, but then I was thinking about ARB for both??? When would I need one in the front? or what for?
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you have enough money to spend, because as of now you are over a couple grand. I really like ARB and that is what I intend to go with once I switch out my axles. But alot of guy on here run something different. Erick and Drack have detroit I think, They'll chime in.

My Morning Jacket
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have detroits - offroad they're great. They leave something to be desired if you do any driving on the street. Here's Candi 's review of the electracs. Just sorta depends on what type of driving you do with your jeep.
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithtj wrote:
As far as the stock skid plates on the your jeep. It's not as good as you think. The gas tank skid is worthless, but it will work untill you can afford the upgrade. the t-case skid plate will work also untill you can get another one. You might want to check out the engine skid plates. I know people are happy with Kilby for that one too.

The 03+ have a vastly improved gas tank skid and I would recommend staying with that for now if you'd rather spend your money on other stuff. With the 03, you also have the shovel. That would be the first thing to get rid of if it were mine. JeepMedicFab has a really nice unit that doesn't require too many other modifications, and it's fairly cheap compared to others out there. It should give you slightly better clearance than the stock skid on 97-02 TJs. While you're ordering from JMF, check into their engine skids. With the whole thing from JeepMedic, you'll have a nice smooth, flat surface on your belly for sliding over stuff while offroad.

If you have access to a welder (yourself or through a friend), also think about the lower control arm skids. JeepMedic makes them too but there are others, including ones from Currie and MikeGreen4x4.

For rocker protection, either Jeeperman trail skids if you want frame mounted (no holes drilled in body) or one of the myriad of body-mounted rockers. I personally like AEV's ($$$) and Shrockworks (less $$$ but just as good). Also, DozerDan on this board can build them for you for a deal.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was/am on a budget, but wanted traction badly. I ended up going with a Power Trax No-slip locker in the front and a Detroit Trutrak limited slip in the back. Once money is available, there'll be a set of ARB's in each pumpkin, but this combo has worked wonderfully for me. The NS is affordable and a DIY install, which really is hard to beat for bang for your buck. For being a fulltime unit in the front, it's hardly noticeable in 2WD. I'd say invisible as my wife's driven the TJ numerous times and has never commented on it. In snow and what not on the road, there is a pulling to the right. Caught me by surprise at first (even though I was told to expect it), but after about five minutes of driving, I managed to reacquaint myself with an appropriate driving style. Don't even think twice about it now. In the rear, the TT is still only a lsd, but it's much more solid than the Trac Loc that comes from the factory. It's gear driven to ensure engagement reliably as opposed to the latter. Being a lsd, this unit is transparent on the road.

I was worried about the durability of both units running 35's now, but so far so good and I've read/heard of others running similar devices in their rigs having the same success. Not necessarily recommending this route, but it's worked for me and is a much cheaper alternative to the selectables. However, you can't beat the mannersims or convenience of the selectables either, I just didn't and still don't have the change to plunk down on them. Axle work is perhaps on of the most expensive mods that you'll do to your Jeep and ya really want to get it right the first time. For me, having fun at the present time outwieghed waiting indefinately for funds for the 'ideal' setup.....most of us would never wheel if we waiting for our rigs to be just right. Get it, mod it as you can, and enjoy it Mr. Green .
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'drack wrote:
I was worried about the durability of both units running 35's now, but so far so good.....

'd, how many times have you been offroad with those 35s?
rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

Finger
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can count them on, well....I can still give ya the finger and count them with the other hand :mrgreen .
chachy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: read about the electracs Reply with quote

Ok, after reading that review I think that the electracs are out of the question. Besides I would only be able to get one for the back since they don't make one for the D30. I think I may be going the ARB route. Does that air compressor have enough to inflate 33"s or would it be better to get a different compressor for stuff like that?
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that it can inflate 33's, I'm not sure how long it would take, but it does have a tire adapter hose available

My Morning Jacket
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother using the ARB compressor for OBA. It doesn't have displacement that you'd need to do it quickly.

You can get into a CO2 system on a budget (I paid $65 for my fixed pressure system). I only fill tires with it so I'm not worried about the non-adjustable regulator b/c I'm not using air tools.

Other wise, I suggest going with a engine driven system, using a York compressor, and adapting it to work with the ARBs....which is possible. I believe someone makes it kit to do it...just not sure who.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: